View Single Post
Old 05-29-2010, 11:37 PM   #55
04Mach1FTW

Re: Header install guide?

Just figured id share my personal info from the header install on my car. I used AmericanMuscle.com for instructions, and was satisfied, but not impressed. You dont need to unbolt the AC pump as they said, and they wanted you to jack the motor from the oil pan, which works, untill you put a nice dent in it Their illistrations are not accurate for how high the car needs to be. I had mine with the front tires about 4 or 5 inches off the ground, NOT ENOUGH. Dropping the K member was a ***** because the car was so low, and it was hard to get it out with the steering rack hanging from the sway bar as they said to do it. Also, the oil dipstick in my case, would NOT come out. I eneded up using vice grips and a massive dent in the dip stick to get it out. And finally, the socket sizes were not all exact, I think I found 1-2 incorrect sizes, which could lead to stripped bolt heads. I ended up beeing cheap, I used the factory studs and nuts again, but one had to be shortened. I also used NEW stock Ford gaskets. Im glad it was a sorce though, and the illistrations right or wrong were very helpfull. Without several road blocks not due to the instructions, it took me on my own around 20 hours. Of course I needed a second hand on the K member drop and install. The biggest pain was one of the top passenger side header bolts.
Im glad I did it, it was not too hard, but time consuming. It sounds great and was well worth it.
-Is it bench racing if the car hasnt ran in a year?
04Mach1FTW is offline   Reply With Quote