View Single Post
Old 02-05-2018, 12:08 PM   #103
AlloyPony

Re: Important Information About Mobile 1 Synthetic Motor Oil For Mach 1's

Mobil 1 is extremely over rated. Not only does it not meet specs for some domestic manufacturers, but in my 5.0L Coyote engine it burned pretty bad. My 5.0 NEVER burned oil until I tried running Mobil 1 in it. It was nearly 2 quarts low when I thankfully checked the dipstick one day about half way through an oil change cycle.

As far as 0W20 goes, it's still for sale. They even have 0W30 and 0W40 on the shelf at Walmart. But, I'd avoid it.

I think I'm going to run 5W30 in my Mach and F150 from now on. If you research 5W20, you'll find that it was developed solely for CAFE numbers and efficiency in new vehicles. Ford (and the other companies) don't give a rat's rear end what happens to your engine past the warranty period. They do, however, worry about the cost of building vehicles that aren't fuel efficient in today's EPA controlled world.

People who care about longevity of engines should consider "thicker" oils in my opinion. The harder you run a car, the better your viscosity needs to be. I mean, just look at the newer Mustang GTs. They spec 5W20 oil too...but if you get the track package guess what? Then you get 5W50 oil. Same engine, but when they assume people are going to run it harder they know they need better oil than 5W20.

Also, it's funny because recently somebody on another forum sent me this link.

http://www.paladinmicro.com/pmicro.php#

You have to navigate to "Tech info/opinion > Miscellaneous > 5W20 not for me"