View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011, 05:05 PM   #92
TheWaterSkier

Re: Lock-out, missed shifts - Mystery solved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDraper View Post
I used all four.
Ok, armed with two 11" angle needle nose and a right angle drill attachment I got from Harbor Freight, I installed my Fiore firewall adjuster and Steeda quadrant (kit from LeathalPerformance.com).

Removed the seat first and backed the studs out so I had a smooth surface to lay on.

After trying to release the cable from the existing quadrant for a few minutes and realizing you need two hands in there to do it, I jacked the car up on jack stands and released the cable from the transmission end. I was then able to just pull the cable off the stock quadrant with one hand.

I think your right angle air drill has a smaller profile as I was only able to get to three holes, but I'm happy with that. After removing the PVC connection and zip tying the throttle cable out of the way, I drilled the three holes with the supplied drill and since I have a tap set, I tapped the three holes instead of using the screws to make the threads. This made things easier. I then started the firewall piece with the three screws but left them halfway out so I could screw the adjuster into it without hitting the valve cover. Once clear of the cover, I used a flexible screw driver shaft to tighten the three screws.

I broke the large plastic piece off the end of the clutch cable and then used side cutters to cut the remaining piece off so I could install the sleeve that came with the new adjuster. I then just let this assembly hang while I went after the quadrant replacement.

Quadrant removal. Remove the trim panel under the steering column, it gives you a bit more working room. There is not much room to work in there, so I was glad I ordered two 11" needle nose, one with a slight angle, one with about a 15 degree angle. I was able to pull the clips off with these (both clips were installed at the factory from the top down, so you have to grasp the clip and push it up away from you to get it out. The quadrant and spring came right off, but the pawl was a bit more problematic. I managed to get the spring off the clutch pedal and then finally off the end of the shaft (opposite end that the pawl finally slips off of).

Installing the Steeda piece was pretty easy. A thick bushing is supplied which positions the quadrant in line with the incoming cable, so you put the bushing on, then the quadrant, then a large nylon washer, then the clip. Getting the clips on from the bottom was easier then removing them though it still took some patience and effort to get it done.

I then put the cable back through the firewall and screwed the adjuster all the way in. Under the dash again, I easily hooked the cable on the new quadrant. Back under the car, I hooked the cable back up and re-installed the dust cover. In the engine compartment, I screwed the adjuster out a couple of turns pulling on the cable until I had just a small bit of play.

Cleaned up and took a drive. WOW! Before, I never seemed to be able to shift into third above about 6000 rpm, now it goes in every time. I'm VERY satisfied.

Thanks for all the tips in this thread and especially to JDraper for the links to MMs stuff as those directions and photos helped a lot.

Traded on another vehicle. The Mach was a great car with very few issues in the 93,000 miles I put on it. I'll miss it...

'04 DSG 5 Spd. IUP
Tri-Ax purchased day before Mach, installed day of purchase. MGW Adjustable Shifter Arm.
Borla Stainless Steel "Stinger" Cat-back. Fiore firewall adjuster/Steeda clutch quadrant.

Last edited by TheWaterSkier; 03-21-2011 at 09:46 AM.
TheWaterSkier is offline   Reply With Quote