View Single Post
Old 09-04-2019, 07:56 AM   #12
87handmedown
Captain Ziptie

Re: Operation Rescue, 2004 Mach 1

Morning friends! So I wiped my finger on the inside of the Mach 1 oil pan before I was going to install it on the block, and it looked like I had grabbed a stripper. Glitter/metal flakes galore. So I figured I should clean this up real well to prevent anything from harming the "new" engine. This is AFTER the pan has spent time in the parts washer.

That's a LOT of metal!

Anyways, I got that cleaned up, installed, but not tightened or torqued onto the block, and then installed the 6 bolt flywheel (60ft-lbs) and clutch (25ft-lbs). My Chilton's manual says that I need apply RTV to the oil pan gasket at the locations where the timing cover meets the block, and where the rear seal plate meets the block. Is this actually necessary, or is this some CYA policy? I ask because I don't generally like RTV to have access to my crankcase where it can fall off and possibly plug something off.

Finally, here is the head bolt torquing procedure that my Chilton's manual tells me. Is this right? Yes, I know head bolts are typically done in steps, but I've always used torque values, and not arbitrary 90° rotational increments. Just making sure I'm not missing something here.

Here's how we sit as of last night. Please ignore how dirty everything is. I can assure you all sealing surfaces were properly cleaned before gaskets were installed and once I get the heads, timing cover, and valve covers back on, I'll clean up exterior all up prior to setting it in the car.

Michael Delaney: Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
87handmedown is offline   Reply With Quote