View Single Post
Old 08-27-2011, 05:26 PM   #11
falcongtho3
Moderating at Mach 1

Re: Irene-all media hype?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmokn View Post
No doubt! Look at all the people that stayed when Katrina hit. My tail would have been long gone before the storm hit...
I'm glad you brought Katrina up. One factory that I've always considered an important piece of the disaster puzzle that keeps getting left out of why so many people stayed in harms way for Katrina is that the year before there was an evacuation of the New Orleans area for a hurricane that never hit there. So many people spen8-12 hours stuck in a logjam of traffic trying to get out for what turned out to be a false alarm, that when the very same thing happened a year later they chose to stay, thinking that the results would be the same. They weren't.
One other thing I've noticed over the last few days, is that apparently the people in charge of the areas that are going to be affected don't seem to be in contact with people in those same positions here as far as evacuations. I've noticed terrible gridlock on the highways being used, while opposite direction lanes are completely unused. We use something called contra-flow in a hurricane evacuation, where both direction lanes are use for a single traffic direction to move people out. I'm not seeing this. I'm sure there are other examples of poor, or no, communication. Sad. Peoples lives are at stake.

#340804 13th Mach 1 built
11/07/02 Build Date
12/13/02 Delivery
falcongtho3 is offline   Reply With Quote