View Single Post
Old 01-30-2006, 11:16 PM   #74
JRKANOT
Lurking since 04-12-2005

Re: Ask A Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickthestick
Didn't know what else to call it, and see my above post. No moving violation, and if I need to, I can post the laws/inspection requirements.
Thanks, I was not really bagging on them, it just seems some do not take the time to care, i guess what the laws says, or means, if that is really possible to know.
I guess you will need a local officer to respond to your question.

Around here we have what is commonly referred to as "a hanging judge".

He doesn't care for the "street crowd" so the officers pretty much write what they want. As long as they can prove it.

In Virginia you can't alter the look of the license plate. You can have a clear cover but no tint so around here the judge would have found you or your friend guilty.

But if you cross the mountain where I used to work in Leesburg I'm told you might get away with the small things like the tag cover. If an officer works in a jurisdiction such as this they might have a hard time . The easy way to do it is learn from previous rulings by the judge. Otherwise you are beating your head on a brick wall.

You might not get fired or transferred by writing tickets the judge doesn't like but as an officer you won't win any close cases either.

I hope I'm not confusing anybody. I'm trying as best I can to explain how this stuff works. i realize it's as clear as mud.

I didn't get it either at first. I'm glad I don't have to enforce traffic laws any more.
JRKANOT is offline   Reply With Quote