View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 10:30 PM   #1
03SHKR
used to be BrianWannaMach

Arrow Kicking Off another Mach 1 Motor Build

Last week, I was surprised to find out the dieseling sound in my Mach was caused by 4 spun rod bearings. The surprise really wasn't the spun bearings, but that 4 spun bearings didn't make a lot more noise - I only heard a low dieseling noise very briefly at start up, and when driving about 2200-2300 RPMs. Anyway, I’m definitely into a motor rebuild.

I have decided that I am not adding a supercharger or a turbo, and I do not want to get into upgrading the fuel system. But, I am going to build the new bottom end strong enough to handle anything I throw at it in the future.

I’m still trying to decide how much power to shoot for, but since my Mach1 is more of a daily driver and an occassional road course car, I know I'm looking for the low end torque instead of a peak HP number. After talking/PMing/emailing several people, this is where I am heading...

Block:
  • Forged Rods with ARP2000 Bolts
  • 020 over Forged Pistons 10:1 Compression
  • Oil Pump with Billet Gears
  • Fluid Damper
  • Windage Tray with ARP main studs
  • Aluminum Flywheel
  • Clutch and Pressure Plate
  • Stock Intake
Heads:
  • Valve grind and deck heads
  • Bronze Valve Guides
  • Custom Cams (specs TBD)
  • Oversized Valves
  • Valve Seals
  • Valve Springs
  • Adjustable Cam Sprockets to degree the cams
  • ARP Bolts
  • Probably some long tube headers

I am going to keep the Zex 100 shot, the 3.90:1 gears and the Borla Stinger Cat Back. The MRT Catted H-Pipe will probably need some modification to fit with the headers.

I have a local engine builder all ready to go. And the head work will likely be done by John at Modular Performance.

So, what am I missing?????

- See pics of my first 86 SVO - I have two
- See pics of my 67 Mustang Fastback w/ 427 Small Block
- See pics of my 2003 Mach 1 Web Page, needs update for new motor, etc.
- See pics of my wife’s 06 Mustang
03SHKR is offline   Reply With Quote