View Single Post
Old 02-01-2006, 07:47 PM   #152
C-dub

Re: Ask A Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenixfire
Holy crap! What you just described happened to me about three years ago! Everything that happened is exactly the same, but at the time I had my 1992 Ford Ranger 4x4 and I was the one going straight and this lady was making a left turn right in front of me(no intersection). She stopped in the middle of the road when she realized she wasnt gonna make it before I hit her, so to avoid hitting her I swirved to the right and slammed into the curb just after the street she was turning into. My tire had a hole in it with leaking air and the rim was badly dented up not to mention needing a bigtime alignment job as well. I also called the police and filed a report(this was before I was a cop) and the lady admitted complete fault for the accident. We both had the same insurance company(Geico) and they put up the same fight your talking about. They only wanted to cover half of the cost and said I was half at fault for "Faulty evasive action". Needless to say I threw up the flag and chewed into them for it. After threatening to take the case to the New Mexico Regulatory Commission they gave in and gave me full compensation for the accident. Stupid car insurance companies expect you to pay an arm and a leg every month to cover your car and when something does happen, they dont want to fulfill their end of the deal. It takes alot to get me mad(and I mean alot) cuz im very laid back, but these guys managed to do it.

in NY your 20% at fault just for being there