Thread: NASCAR thread
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 08:46 AM   #1213
ylopony

Re: NASCAR thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcongtho3 View Post
Two in a row makes you great? Not so tough to realize others have done that. He's still not that 'great' in my opinion. He can drive and he's with a team that has depth, but he shares something with his second place team 'mate' that just really rubs me the wrong way. I never cared for Earnhardt Sr., but I did respect him. I liked Petty, including his deserved respect. Elliott was easy to like, respect, and follow with his sucess. It's easy to jump on the winners bandwagon, it's not so easy to carry the banner for your favorite (team, driver, or brand) when things don't go your way.
Does winning two in a row make a driver great. No it don't. But when you have 81 career wins and 4 cup championships and looking at 5 that makes you great. And yes a great team is important, but you still have to drive the car.I was never a huge fan of Earnhardt Sr. either but he was great. I was not a big Darrell Waltrip fan but he was a great driver.

As for jumping on bandwagons, trust me I am no jump on the band wagon fan of Jeff Gordon. I've been a fan of his for years. Ernie Irvin and Gordon are my favorite drivers.

As for carrying a team banner in good or bad. My friend, you are singing to the choir. I grew up and still live in the Cleveland area. I have been a lifetime Indians fan. I remember going to games with less than 2,000 in attendance and watching through 100 loss seasons.

I have been a lifetime Browns fans. I had my heart ripped out when Modell left for Baltimore. I have watched dismal teams in the 70's. I have watched and cheered for this team as lousy as they have been since they came back. In fact, I'm about ready to head out the door to go to the Browns-Dolphins game here shortly.

I have been a lifetime fan of the Cavaliers. I have watched their abismal years up to the 80's with Daugherty, Price, Nance, and Hotrod. Then the return to bottom dwellers prior to Lebron James.

I appreciate that you do not like or cheer for Gordon. Your opinion of Gordon is your choice. I hate the Steelers. However, they are a great team. I hate the Redsox(which has caused a real problem for me now that they are part of Roush)but they are still a great team.
ylopony is offline   Reply With Quote