View Single Post
Old 08-20-2007, 09:05 AM   #16
01TruBluGT

Re: How dads should get their kids into cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvervoren View Post
I want my son to have one of them. A fast one like that though. Can't imagine how much it would cost though. I wonder how long the plastic wheels would last?
Well I have been looking into it seriously for about a week. I am planning on getting my nice a Mustang Power Wheels for her B-Day in March. I was hoping I would be able to find a 99-04 bodystyle but from everything I can find they did not make one. So that leaves me with the 05+ bodystyle. I plan on painting it Azure Blue with the flat black hood to match the Mach. I might even get creative and fabricate a shaker scoop for it. Will probably even order smome Mach 1 sidestripes. More than likely it should be able to do about 8mph, which is not bad for a 3 year old.

In order to make them faster there are two pieces that need attention first, Power supply - they run 12v as is, switching it out to run 24v will cost about $25.00 - $60.00 depending on if you can fit an additional 12v battery in the car or if I have to buy 3 6v and run them in series to get the 24v. Next is the motor, these things run off of motors the same size as RC cars, I have seen 36v motors selling for like $20.00, and lastly gears. Power Wheels regulates the factory speed by tire size/gear size. So if you take a car version and get the gears out of one of their power wheels that came with bigger wheels you will get more top end out of them. Tires being plastic would probably wear with alot of power sliding, I have seen people putting traction strips(hacked up bike tires) as well as using the rattle can rubberized underbody more so for traction than tire longevity.

I have seen some hooked up to run 24v, then a switch/relay system used to switch from 24v to 36v with the push of a button, can anyone say Power Wheel Nitrous haha.
01TruBluGT is offline   Reply With Quote