View Single Post
Old 07-20-2007, 12:27 PM   #708
01TruBluGT

Re: Ask A Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDShadow View Post
Or you can prove the means and equipment they used is not within the states certification standards then you can get the ticket dismissed. This is why I want to know if GPS is a state approved speed certification. You know the states take a long time before they approve a new way. The officers will make statements sounding official hoping you will just pay the ticket. Insurance will go up on an 18 y/o if they get a ticket. This in turn affects my pocket since I have to pay the premium for him. BTW, have a 16 y/o about to get insured too. YIKES!!
Like I said might want to call the state and ask about that. I would have to imagine that if the state is purchasing and distributing the GPS units they would be sure to make sure that it would hold up in court first.

Lastly don't kid yourself into thinking all it takes to get a ticket dismissed is by proving the method they used is not accepted. I had a ticket once where no Radar/Laser or pacing was used. The officer simply gave me a general speeding ticket. When I went to court to fight it I asked how he determined that I was speeding. He said he saw me and could tell I was speeding. I asked if he could provide me with any documentation showing that his eyes were calibrated to accurately determine speed, his response - NO, I then asked if he had a letter from an eye doctor showing he had 20/20 vision, his response - NO, I asked if he had taken any special classes or had any certificates showing any special schooling teaching him how to determine speed by sight alone, again his response - NO. After it was said and done the judge decided that the officer having years of experience in traffic division was more adept to noticing and recognizing speeding when he sees it. I then told the judge that I worked in construction since I was 15 so does that mean I could build a high rise without a tape measure and a level. The judge found me guilty but since I fought a good fight he would reduce to charge to a non moving, still cost me just as much as the speeding ticket.
01TruBluGT is offline   Reply With Quote