Thread: NASCAR thread
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2007, 10:16 AM   #931
G
Undocumented Member

Re: NASCAR thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZURE GIRL View Post
Don't be bashful G, I agree completely. Nascar has changed alot since his death and today he would be one of the most penalized drivers if he was still with us.
I don't know that I agree with that; drivers from his day handled things out on the track and didn't wine about it. He is still the only Cup driver to have wins in 4 different decades. I just don't like the terms used. Dirty driving is a term that is hard to define, it's hard for me to apply it to someone who insisted on winning every race he entered.

In my limited experience I have pushed on other cars, taken away lines needed to pass me, and even done some blocking at the very end of a race. My dad drove modifieds on dirt and pavement back in the day and was never considered a dirty driver but if Dale Sr is considered dirty --- my dad might be filthy.

This theory on dirty drivers makes me think some on here have not been to very many short track local races. Cup is tame and always has been. I remember seeing Dale Sr and Waltrip both being owned on the short tracks in SE Va and NC. Guys like Tommy Ellis, Sonny Hutchins, and Ray Hendricks gave them their schooling --- it was some rough racing.
1933 Ford 3W Coupe (4.6 dohc Stack Injection)
2003 Cobra TR (sold)
2014 Mustang GT (Track Pack) in Black
G is offline   Reply With Quote