View Single Post
Old 04-17-2007, 12:50 PM   #642
01TruBluGT

Re: Ask A Police Officer

OK a new one for me.

I was stopped at a red light in the turning lane. Light went green and I made the turn. It was a left hand turn and on the right side of the turn there was a gas station. A local SHerrif was pumping gas into his car as I went through the turn. I was in the Mach and rode 1st gear through the turn so I know it was the exhaust that cought his attention. Anyways I was about 8-10 blocks away and I see the lights come on in my rear view. He pulls me over and tells me I was speeding which I was not aware of and in all honsty I was not speeding.

Signed the ticket, took my copy and drove off. I looked at it a little while later and noticed something very odd.

There was no speed written down, no laser/rader #, no pacing nothing. In otherwords to me atleast it basicly reads that he "thinks" I was speeding without having anything to back that up.

I have to go to court next month and I am wondering how I should approach this.

I know LEO's by nature of dealing with this all the time have a somewhat better visual refrence as to what speeding looks like, but honestly without some form of radar, laser, or pacing what proof does he have other than what he thinks?

Realisticly speaking police cars, radar, and laser units all have to have regular calibrations to insure accuracy. If they have to go through that then how would a judge be able to find me guilty based on what someone saw considering their eyes were never calibrated to determine speed?
01TruBluGT is offline   Reply With Quote