Thread: NASCAR thread
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2006, 05:08 PM   #48
machths
Mach 1 Member

Re: NASCAR thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvervoren
I knew the whole story behind it but remember, that was back in 1987 when aerodynamics were not very good and safety was no way like it is now days.. Now days the cars litteratly get sucked to the race track. They also have roof flaps, side windows and that little strip on the back window to keep them from flipping. Obviously it doesn't always work but if you flip a car over going 200 as compared to 225 or 230, I don't think the car is going to act much differently if it's going to fly in the air at them speeds.
The roof flaps do help, but they're not fool-proof. Remember Ryan Newman and Elliott Sadler both got some serious air time when they crashed recently. Plus, the article said that Bobby Allison blew his motor. It actually came apart, and it was the fact that he ran over a large chunk of it is what kicked his car up, off of the ground in the first place. There is no current safety feature on the cars today that would have changed anything in his scenario, therefore, slowing the cars down was the only "sure thing." I personally don't like the restrictor plates, I've been to Talladega, and I would love to see a race there where they were hitting 220+. Just one occurance though, that's all it would take. Could you imagine one of those sled's barrel-rolling down the main grandstand there. That lawsuit would be sooo big that both the track owner and probably NASCAR itself would never financially recover from that.

1996 Laser Red Cobra
machths is offline   Reply With Quote