View Single Post
Old 08-11-2006, 10:37 AM   #494
MvCrash
Where is Hooterville?

Re: Ask A Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMachU
Dude....maybe because you are 17, you didn't see the levity in my post. So, I'll break it down for ya....

First, calling the dispatcher before you go speeding to the hospital is pointless. How do we know you have an actual emergency? We don't.

If you are speeding and fail to stop, that (in California) is 22806 (a) CVC, Failure to Yield to an Emergency Vehilce, among other violations. Depending on your actions during the pursuit, you could violate the felony "failure to yield" law. Either way, when you finally stopped, you would be the subject of a "High Risk" vehicle stop. Which means about 10 guns pointed at you, and you would be taken into custody. Then and only then would you be allowed to explain why you failed to stop for the red lights and sirens.

If you stop when the officer wants you to, you avoid all the above and you get a chance to explain from the comfort of your car, not on your face in the street.

You have a bit of maturing to do yet, as evidenced by your "edit" statement. That was uncalled for, especially since you came here looking for advice. However, to rebut that statement, no you would not be taken into custody if you are stopped for speeding and explain why. THAT is the whole point I have been trying to make.

Moral of the story: See red lights (blue in some states), STOP YOUR CAR as soon as is safe to do so, on the right side of the roadway and out of traffic.

Another word of advice. Do not stop, jump out of your car and run towards the police car. This too can get a large caliber weapon pointed in your direction.
Pull over, talk to the cop, and see where it goes. Continuing on your way is reckless and dangerous in any form.

In my case, I would tell you to put your pregnant wife in the police car, advise you to drive carefully, and take her to the hospital as SAFELY and quickly as I could. The emphasis on SAFELY.
Adopted 12/18/2004
SOLD 7/17/06

2007 Corvette Convertible
Born 7/17/06
Delivery@NCM 8/24/06
" There are only two things that are infinite, the Universe and Human Stupidity. I'm not sure about the Universe." Albert Einstein
" Anyone who has never made a mistake, has never tried anything new"Albert Eintein.
" It is better to have loved and lost, than never have seen lost in space" Kelly Bundy
MvCrash is offline   Reply With Quote