View Single Post
Old 04-02-2006, 07:57 AM   #405
MvCrash
Where is Hooterville?

Re: Ask A Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Drag
MvCrash,

To put some of what you said in perspective. Yes, I have been placed in plenty of situations in which I did not know whether or not I was going to have to take someone's life. Like you, whether I have or not will remain known to only me. It's a terrible situation to wish on anyone, but that being said, should a situation arise that would require it I've prepared myself mentally and physically for years to do what needs to be done. I think about it every night when I tell my wife I love her and leave for work. I guess the judged by 12 or carried by 6 phrase means something a little different to me. To me it means that when the time comes, I will step up to the plate and protect myself, my coworkers, or anyone else in need and I will do it without hesitation that can be caused by second guessing myself as to what the legal ramifications might be. No matter how right you are in these situations, it's not a matter of if, but when you will be sued.

From some of the conversation, I can make a pretty educated guess of the outcome of the situation you were in. All I can say is God bless you and all others that have taken it upon themselves to have the courage to stand up to those who have no respect for the lives of others in order to defend friends, family, or anyone else in need.
I am in your corner 100%. We all train hard and are schooled early we have to be ready, willing and able, or get another job. If you want to use the phrase mentioned, have at it, my comments were for those who have no idea what they actually mean.
My eldest daughter and I leave the house now the same time every morning. I always insist she kiss me on the cheek before we part ways in the driveway. The other morning she asked me why I was like this. Like you, I understand one never knows. I have a few freinds whose "shift" ended a bit early and never made it home. I don't tell her this, I just smile and tell her "cause I wubya."
I worked steady midnights for about 5 yrs and steady 4x12 the other 4 yrs in the eighties when the crack thing was going on and it was cowboys and indians. Kissed the wife goodbye every nite before I left.
But hey, it is what we do, and I prefer eating donuts now. My father once told me "Son, fat, dumb and happy is no way to go through life." I can now answer with some enthusiasm:
YES IT IS!!!!! It is a wonderful way!!! :HOPPY:

Remember the two most important things they teach in the Academy:
1. Watch their hands, the eyes cannot kill you.
2. DUCK
Adopted 12/18/2004
SOLD 7/17/06

2007 Corvette Convertible
Born 7/17/06
Delivery@NCM 8/24/06
" There are only two things that are infinite, the Universe and Human Stupidity. I'm not sure about the Universe." Albert Einstein
" Anyone who has never made a mistake, has never tried anything new"Albert Eintein.
" It is better to have loved and lost, than never have seen lost in space" Kelly Bundy
MvCrash is offline   Reply With Quote