View Single Post
Old 03-13-2006, 06:47 AM   #334
MvCrash
Where is Hooterville?

Re: Ask A Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMachU
Ok, Burly and 2K....(2K, you owe me an email for this - LOL!)....

Most officers who write traffic for a living will probably go 6 MPH over the speed limit (Highway Patrol for example). As a rule here in So Cal, we have a saying - Most self-respecting coppers will not write anything under 12 mph over the limit. Just a guideline for us local coppers who are not traffic cars or motor officers.

And for those that will follow up with the next (usual) question: No, there is no quota. We can write as many as we want! Last cite I wrote was to a guy in an Audi TT who passed me on the freeway (210 at Roxford for you So Cal guys). I was doing 75 in the black and white....he was doing 93 ( I gave him 5 MPH on the cite and only wrote him for 88 MPH.). The only reason I cited him was this: When I asked his passenger why he passed me so fast, the passenger threw the driver under the bus: He said the driver told him that since I was County and not CHP he could pass me at 110 MPH and there is nothing I could do.

We have another saying in Law Enforcement: We only catch the dumb ones.

I have to agree and add one thing: I think alot depends on the flow of traffic. We have 25 mph zones that the traffic moves at 35 towards the busiest bridge in the world, 40 won't get you stopped unless your driving like an idiot. Between the hours of 8AM and 830AM and 230pm and 3pm when the kids are walking to/from school, on that same road, 30 will get you stopped. Those roads are heavily patrolled at those hours also by traffic guys.
Around here, since we have lots of traffic )400,000 vehicles a day go over the GWB) it is very situational. Common sense would have alot to do with this. Drive carefully!!
Adopted 12/18/2004
SOLD 7/17/06

2007 Corvette Convertible
Born 7/17/06
Delivery@NCM 8/24/06
" There are only two things that are infinite, the Universe and Human Stupidity. I'm not sure about the Universe." Albert Einstein
" Anyone who has never made a mistake, has never tried anything new"Albert Eintein.
" It is better to have loved and lost, than never have seen lost in space" Kelly Bundy
MvCrash is offline   Reply With Quote