View Single Post
Old 01-30-2006, 11:27 PM   #80
rickthestick
Registry Liberator

Re: Ask A Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKANOT
I guess you will need a local officer to respond to your question.

Around here we have what is commonly referred to as "a hanging judge".

He doesn't care for the "street crowd" so the officers pretty much write what they want. As long as they can prove it.

In Virginia you can't alter the look of the license plate. You can have a clear cover but no tint so around here the judge would have found you or your friend guilty.

But if you cross the mountain where I used to work in Leesburg I'm told you might get away with the small things like the tag cover. If an officer works in a jurisdiction such as this they might have a hard time . The easy way to do it is learn from previous rulings by the judge. Otherwise you are beating your head on a brick wall.

You might not get fired or transferred by writing tickets the judge doesn't like but as an officer you won't win any close cases either.

I hope I'm not confusing anybody. I'm trying as best I can to explain how this stuff works. i realize it's as clear as mud.

I didn't get it either at first. I'm glad I don't have to enforce traffic laws any more.
I know it's not easy, and there are different ways to interpret what a law says versus what it may mean. But here, it is spelled out very clearly that they are allowed, and what the requiorement for them is. I just wonder why, if the laws is pretty specific here, and tited covers are allowed, why they make a big deal about the mach, but never have pulled over the Escape. I know the answer really, but just wondered aloud I guess. I have talked to several different guys, and can't get the same answer from anyone. I think some have pet infractions they like to issue, and the TR Mach does not go unnoticed. It just seems odd to me. Especially since I am not a kid, not a racer (ok, mostly), no traffic tickets, nothing to warrent getting pulled over, and i did my homework before I put them on. I have not had any problems for a while, but still seems funny.