View Single Post
Old 05-01-2005, 10:53 PM   #6
SVTSnake
Mach Freak

Re: Bassani header install progress...

Everythhing is complete on the car now! Finished up today around 5 with getting the front suspension back together, changing the oil, and replacing my defective shaker bushings with the new updated black models.

Took her for a test drive, and boy does she sound sweet! Kinda makes me wish I had either my Bassani catback or original Loudmouth's back in there! With the Loudmouth 2's, it sounds like a 60's big block at idle, but very deep during acceleration. One cool thing is I thought I was going to need a realignment, but the car is tracking straight and the wheel is straight as well.

I left my camera over my in-laws, so my pictures will have to wait till tomorrow.

I did all the work by myself, with the only help coming from my father-in-law lifting the K member back in place. Was it worth me saving $800-$1000 for the installation? H*** YEAH!!! Would I do it again? Don't know All I can say is that I'm glad its done!

As for any little secrets that I learned from my experience:

1) Use copper high temp gasket spray to help hold on the header gaskets. They are very small, and when you are installing the collectors, will sometimes fall off (mine fell off several times_).

2) 1/4" sockets with a 12" extension really came in handy for getting the top nuts tightened on the passenger side. For the pipe near the firewall (P4), a swivel socket really helped.

3) DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN YOUR BOLTS! Its aluminum, and with that said, is very fragile.

4) You will have to loosen the dipstick tube guide so you can slide header D2 in to place. Don't retighten until after the headers are complete.

5) On the passenger side for 03 models, make sure you release the O2 wire harness from the engine BEFORE you install the headers. If you don't be prepared to become a contortionist trying to get it done with whatever you can get up there between the frame, sheetmetal, and headers. Or you will have to use a O2 extension.

6) If using the Bassani modular X pipe, be sure to use the longer tube on the drivers side and the shot tube on the passenger side. The instructions for VERY vague about this.

7) If you reinstall the drivers side motor mount AFTER you have the header installed, be prepared to go to Home Depot or Lowe's to purhcase a M10 1.5 30mm screw.

8) A 5mm 6 point socket fits the header studs perfect for removing and reinstalling

The main thing is just take your time, and be patient. The install takes time!!!!

2003 Mach 1 - Zinc Yellow
Born 06/12/03, VIN# 436142
5 Speed, IUP
312 HP, 321 FT. LBS. TRQ. (5/10/05)
SVTSnake is offline   Reply With Quote