View Single Post
Old 01-14-2005, 05:16 PM   #26
Ralph Greene

Re: Gears - to answer the questions once and for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1dsg
ralph, why do you think 3.73's would be better for all around use over 3.55's??, i know 4.10's or 4.30's would be the ticket for drag racing,but i haven't think about 3.73's as a replacement for the stock 3.55's until know. i know anything over 4.10s would improve acceleration in the 1/4 mile, but traction would be become an issue with street tires, specially with the ones that i was thinking to install (4.30s), i also know, dr's would cure the traction problem, but i drive 120miles every day, so i can't not afford to replace dr's every 2 months, plus i need to be able to drive in the rain.
Well....This is how I look at it. For casual drag racing at the strip, with maybe Nitto DR's, 3.55's work pretty good. To retain stock cruising drivability, set of cheap rear 17X8 wheels with Nitto DR's cost about same as gear change. Our 3.38 first gear with a 3.55 rear gear gives a fairly low overall ratio for first gear (3.38X3.55=12-1). That ratio is lower than an 03/04 Cobra with 4.30's and 2.66 first (11.44-1). Work on getting 60' down to about 1.8 or so. You can run it out in 3rd. Cars have gone high 12's with this combo and stock power. Most cars on this forum with every bolt on mod available, 4.10's (manuals) and such, on stock type tires, don't run 12's.

For much more serious drag racing with sticky tires (BFG DR's or better) on race wheels, I would run 4.30's, and learn to launch off or near the rev limiter. But purchase race wheels. This is the hot ticket, if you wish to make your car into a race oriented car. You must get your 60' in the 1.5-1.6 area. It's all about 60' times, more so than HP. This kind of abuse requires some serious mods to drivetrain.

For cars not set up to race at the strip (been lowered etc), but where you just want a little more mechanical advantage for street acceleration, then run 3.73's, 3.90's, or 4.10's, depending on your tires and how much 4th gear speed you wish to give up, and how many extra RPM's you're willing to put up with while cruising. But these gears require an extra shift at the strip VS 3.55's, offsetting some of their advantage.

Forget what top speed could be in 5th. If you have to shift to 5th in any kind of encounter, it's all over with our extremely tall .62 5th. 5th just for cruising. We really just have a 4 speed car (manuals) plus tall overdrive.
Real Ford FR 500 18X9 Wheels
255X40X18 Michelin Tires
Steeda Sport Springs (isolators in)
Tokico HP Struts/Shocks
Steeda 4 bolt CC Plates
Poly Offset Steering Rack Bushings
Steeda TriAx Shifter
Magnaflow X/Cats
Bassani Catback with Removable Baffles

Last edited by Ralph Greene; 01-15-2005 at 11:45 AM.
Ralph Greene is offline   Reply With Quote