View Single Post
Old 12-29-2004, 09:29 AM   #54
Comp Orange 04

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03AV8R
I was a few seconds away from doing this myself. Then last Year Mike Dez Racing out of Mass. tried tuning in a recently ported, polished, extrude honed Mach1 intake & couldnt find a nickel more of power over what they already had with the spacer & exhaust & CAI etc.. They got the PHP $1200 deal & did some other "work" while they had it all apart.. After it was all said & done they couldnt make anymore power than what they had before..

Maybe the Superchips tuning software has more to it now that can take advantage etc. but last year they couldnt do anything with it using Superchips tuning & his Dyno.. these guys have seen gains from good port/polishing before & the pieces they got back from PHP looked awesome but no gains found?? They tried everything on the dyno they could think of & nottin seemed to help at the time.. The guy who owns the car is a member here on the registry. Not sure if they ever got anything out of it to this day.. It was as though the Mach1's intake just didnt need it.. Maybe Dave will update us on that deal.. Im still interested & the winter IS going by pretty slow! For $450 id like to at least try it to see how it goes on mine
Sane words..... I hope to see a little something out of this but if I don't it will be sorta OK. I really don't have too much $$ wrapped up so far ($25 for a butt ton of dremel pieces and $30 to cut the intake and $13 for freeze plugs). It is a winter project so I am making it one. All I know is I have removed plenty of aluminum so far so at least a little bit more air is available to the engine.

Let me tell you, cutting the bottom off is the only way to go. It allows you to go full circle into the ports and feel every imperfection. It also allows for better shaping of the 'horn'. Right now I am on 'medium' grit emery cloth and 120 grit sanding drums. I have gone as deep as I can into the ports so now I am smoothing out some of my divots and doing final shaping of the horns.

Time to eat then get back at it. Thanks for all the comments so far. I hope this may be of some use to people.
294.2 RWHP 314.0 RWTQ 1/25/05 SAE.
12.61@108MPH 04/16/06
Magnaflow Magnapaks,MRT Catted H pipe SCT Xcalibrator tune,Ported/Polished lower intake with PHP spacer,S&B 8" Powerstack filter on Lowes CAI, MGW Shifter, Strange 31 spline axles, FRPP 31 spline diff with carbon fiber clutches, FRPP 4.10 gears,17x9 and 17x10.5 Black FR500 rims, BFG drag radials

Last edited by Comp Orange 04; 12-29-2004 at 09:33 AM.
Comp Orange 04 is offline   Reply With Quote