View Single Post
Old 05-16-2004, 12:49 AM   #127
hawk
Braderunna

The Mach 1 is technically not my first mustang, though it is the first one I have both owned and sat in. Allow me to elaborate...

When I was but a lad, back in '66 or '67, my dad was negotiating for a new Ford p/u. He had taken me along that day, and at the dealership they had these toy mustangs, I guess about 1/12 scale (about 10" long anyway). It was a fastback GT, a 1967 model according to the rear plate, and came in light blue. The hood opens to show a white plastic V8, I guess a 289 back then, with a chrome air cleaner. It had a very detailed interior, with a chrome wheel, and gauge cluster. The coolest part is they had a motor and working head/tail lights. The motor went in fwd or rev, and the single flashlight bulb went into a plastic light pipe that carried the light to the front and back. You could let it go in a straight line, or set the front wheels to steer so it did circles.

Ok, so I really wanted one, and was bugging my dad about it. He told the guy (who was a friend of his) "hey, I'll buy the truck, but you gotta throw in 2 of those model cars for my boys". The guy figured $20 worth of toys was worth it to seal the deal, I guess. I loved the thing and played with it all the time. My brother and I used to race 'em through the house.

FFwd to 2004- -- I was showing my new Mach 1 to the folks, and mom said "You finally bought a real one, huh? You've loved mustangs since you were little".. "I think we still have those mustang models down in the basement" I had almost forgotten about them.

Last week, when I was up visiting, I dug through the old boxes, and pulled mine out. It was covered with old hot wheels stickers, racing sponsor decals, and stuff. I brought it home, cleaned it up, and stuck in some fresh D cells. It still runs! I borrowed a flashlight bulb and tried that, the lights still work (though they are dimmer than I remember). Not bad for a 37 year old toy...

After digging out the GT, I went through my miniatues and dug out the chrome Hot Wheels "Boss Hoss" and a matchbox mustang that has steerable wheels with a little lever on the side.

He he I guess I have always loved Mustangs. I knew when I test drove my Mach 1 it was the car I always wanted, And I suppose the legacy of my toys proves it to some extent. I have driven trucks since college, and motorcycles since the mid 80s, but it took the Mach 1 sitting on the dealer lot to rekindle the love for mustangs that had burned in my youth and had almost been forgotten. I treasure this car, but not as a museum piece - a living breathing ultra machine that gives me grins from the moment I unlock the door until I say goodnight to Sparky and lock them up again.

I guess this whole letter is a little sappy, and not what you all want to read about. No long line of mustangs leading up to the current one, etc. But I figured out of all the people I could tell this story to, the folks here on this board would be the most likely to understand. :THUMBSUP:

Visit my garage on mach1mustang.org for details.
hawk is offline   Reply With Quote