View Single Post
Old 03-21-2021, 08:17 PM   #43
Rusty67

Re: 03 Mach 1 open heart surgery

Please note, OTC 7786 is NOT the correct tool to install the rear main seal on the modular family motors. It is for the 4.0 V6 and has a different bolt circle than the modular V8 crank does. It does slip fit over the crank shaft and has the right OD for the seal. It is possible if you modified the tool to fit the bolt circle of the crank that it would work but I didn't measure if it would set the seal to the same depth as the correct tool does.

The correct tool to install the rear main seal came in this week and I picked up a replacement oil slinger from a local Ford dealer yesterday. They are 10 bucks and change now. The proper tool is actually multiple pieces. There is a part that bolts on over the crank/pilot bearing and a piece that bolts into that. The draw bolt is skinny enough to go through the pilot bearing so you don't have to replace it (which would have sucked because I JUST put a brand new one in). You put the seal onto the installer tool and then bolt it down a little at a time. I did notice it wasn't going in perfectly straight so I have it a little bit of encouragement around the edges with my dead blow to even it out and then finished up by cranking it down until the tool was flush against the rear plate on the motor.

After installing the rear main seal, I grabbed the additional piece of the tool for the oil slinger and pressed the slinger into the block. It went in no problem. The slinger registers into the tool to keep it concentric with the crank.

If you are using a PTFE seal like I used, make sure to clean the crank and your installation tool before installing the seal. PTFE seals must be installed clean/dry. Regular seals require lubricant.
Attached Thumbnails
rear main tool setup on crain.jpg   rear main on tool2.jpg   rear main on tool1.jpg   rear main installed.jpg   oil slinger in tool.jpg  

Rusty67 is offline   Reply With Quote