View Single Post
Old 10-08-2020, 06:43 PM   #4
bristol16

Re: Longer crank after sitting for a bit.

next time you let it sit that long cycle the fuel pump a couple times before starting and see if it still has a long crank or not. it could just be a weak check valve allowing the fuel to slowly drain back towards the tank. if it started fine it's probably not anything to worry about. the extra few seconds of cranking helps get the oil moving before the engine starts anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BONESTOCK View Post
idk. Mine does the same. Never worried about it. Been like that for years.

But my car will sit for month at a time. I usually floor the gas pedal (this disables the ignition) while turning the engine over to crank it and get oil up in there! Probably a good 8-10 seconds. Then stop for a few seconds and then turn the car on normally.
i thought flooring the gas pedal cut fuel, not ignition? it used to be a way to clear a flooded engine back in the days of carburetors and i think, at least for most vehicles, fuel is cut in half or cut off completely when doing this to help clear the cylinders of a flooded engine. if it cuts the ignition but keeps adding fuel for the 8-10 seconds you are cranking that's not really a good thing.
bristol16 is offline   Reply With Quote