View Single Post
Old 07-19-2017, 10:03 AM   #1
wutang61
CAT MASTA!

Chasing a ghost. rear end noise.

I'm having a hell of an issue with rear end noise. And it's becoming quite the Bastid to trace what in the heck is actually causing it.

Car has a built rear end. True trac, mosers and a motive 4.10. Ford racing install kit.

I originally setup the rear end but it howled pretty good. So I bit the bullet and took it to a local race shop to have them take a peak on what exactly was going on.

They gutted the rear, inspected everything with no signs of issues. Reinstalled everything and the gear noise is still on the verge of insanity. They're to the point of being completely lost at its cause. Pattern and backlash are perfect. (Checked in 3 places) wear pattern on the gear itself looks good. Bearings look perfect.

Actual quote was around "it's dead nuts perfect. It's just screaming and there is zero indication of why.

Car does have spherical differential side bushings with stock upper control arms and MM extreme duty lowers. Anyone have a simpler setup? They are pretty forceful on the bushings being the only cause of the noise.

Which I feel they are correct to a point. But I do not believe that sphericals on the diff side would cause gear noise to be so loud it resonates in the cabin at 50-55mph. (Also a whoop whoop whoop on coming to a stop)

My plan of action: ditch the motives for a ford racing gear. Replace inner and outer pinion bearings and carrier bearings. I also have stock rubber replacements for the Diff. so that is another option as well.

Novel over. Thoughts?
Built 8.8,4.10's

441/402
wutang61 is offline   Reply With Quote