View Single Post
Old 07-12-2016, 08:09 AM   #153
sutyak
it's soo-tack

Re: sutyak's turbo 2004 Mach 1 build thread

Finished up the full length subframe connectors and got those painted. I also painted the tubular front bumper support. It wasn't until I started taking apart the intercooler piping that I realized the car had absolutely no crash or bumper support whatsoever. I know this one isn't a crash bar, but hopefully it would save my intercooler from someone backing into me in a parking lot. I guess it also keeps the bumper from buckling at high speeds.
I'm slowly painting the roll bar dark shadow grey. The guy at Advance Auto asked me what I was painting and I told him a roll bar to match my car. His first thought was "oh, for a demo derby car?". Welcome to West Virginia.
As for gears, I'm still debating between 3.90 and 4.10. I should probably wait until I get some track and dyno time before I change the rear gear, but that doesn't mean I'll be practical and wait.
While I have the car torn apart this far I'm going to go ahead and install the stronger valve springs and 2001 Cobra intake cams. I will probably not degree them at this time. I mainly want to ensure the valvetrain will handle regular trips to 7K RPM in boost. I ordered a valve spring compressor from Euroexport that looks slick.

Painted support hanging on wall:

Gear comparisons at 1:1 in 4th gear. 134mph is the target for my roll bar. 140mph is for that "last pass of the day might as well get a 9 sec timeslip".
The problem at the moment is I don't know exactly where the peak HP will be of the new turbo. If my compressor map is correct, it will still be flowing fine at 7K, but that also depends on the turbine housing.
2003 DSG Mach 1. 12.65 @ 106 (sold)
sutyak is offline   Reply With Quote