View Single Post
Old 02-09-2015, 03:38 PM   #16
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

Re: lost oil pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugs04mach View Post
I'm worried as well. Does it make sense to pull the motor apart and replace the gears proactively? What kind of job/labor is it? Easier to do with motor out of car?
if I could back I would...a set of gears from someone like TSS is around $400. Youd be in it for the gears + crank pulley bolt + timing cover gasket and if theres any seals on the pump.

definitely easier out of the car but very doable in the car. valve covers need to be loosened up, oil pan bolts to the timing cover take out, power steering pump removed and the crank pulley removed. Removing the crank pulley usually means unbolting the expansion tank and moving it to the side (dont have to drain it) and removing the cooling fan (you CAN get it out, just be careful) to fit the pulley pulley on there.

once you get the timing cover off you need to mark all you timing chains appropriately and remove them. The timing gears come off then its supposedly super easy to yank the pump, switch the gears and pack em with assembly lube then put it all back.

Its a lot of stuff to do but looks like none of it is incredibly difficult. If you pay a shop youre looking at 800-1000bucks + parts. Doing it yourself even with a new pump youd be at under $600 with gaskets and rtv...Now if Im the luckiest man alive Ill be out $600 but likely quite a bit more up to a whole damned new motor

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote