View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #7
noodle9400

Re: Pads difficult to get onto caliper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith.red.mach1 View Post
I had the same problem with Wagner pads, supposed to be good quality. I went to the store and picked up the cheapest ones they sale and sure enough they went right on. When I compared the 2 sets, The Wagners had a little more metal material that kept it from fitting.
I have heard the PosiQuiets may be a hair thicker than normal which usually requires a rubber mallet to get the caliper back on when pads are in. Haven't gotten there yet. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSG2003Mach1 View Post
i think hes talking about the metal spring clips that hold the pad in the caliper. Ive had trouble with some of the hawk pads not wanting to fully seat, i think ive used both a C clamp and also pried against the pad using the handle of a ratchet to press one side in then the other
I've used C clamp to compress the piston. Than another time I used the brake tool to compress the piston. I was able to get one side (piston side) on by applying the brakes, worked. But since I couldn't get the other pad on, I gave up for the night and had to put the old stuff back on. The claw clips are so tight in the piston, that when I pulled/banged the pad off, it literally pulled the piston out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 006 View Post
Instructions:

If you're talking about the round shaped retainer clips (claws) facing up in this pic:

I normally tap on them with a tool all the way around to bend them inwards slightly since they can be hard to slide into the two openings....and into the piston in the back of the caliper. You'll even see them make scraping marks on the piston as they go in. The OEM pbr pads have the silver shiny retainer clips that are much easier to put in, but apart from pbr, all aftermarket clips are a ***** to install.

Simple solution my friend.

I tried using pliers to squeeze those clips but didn't want to squeeze too much since they are an important piece to pads lol. I guess instead of starting the brake job mid day, I'm gonna have to start early morning that way I have time to really bang that out....or in I should say. Gonna need to invest in a rubber mallet and a 1/2" deep socket for the lugs. I was gonna rotate tires but I couldn't get the back lugs to break loose. Dealer put them on so tight I literally cracked my cross bar I usually use.
noodle9400 is offline   Reply With Quote