Thread: 4.30's or 4.10
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #216
Krashdavus

Re: 4.30's or 4.10

Think I'll take a stab at this, now that the gear swap in my Mach is complete. Before I bought this car, I had a mid 12's Pace Car. The car had 3.73's in it, and at an earlier, time 4.10's. Late last fall, I took the Mach to the track, to base line it. I ran a best of 13.97, granny shifting the stick, on M/T drag radials on 30 psi. I was running through the traps just as I shifted out of 3rd gear. That's all she had. It ran consistent high 13's to very low 14's.

Doing the math, I figured 4.30's would do the trick. However, a Vortech SQ2 is going on this ting very shortly. I asked around, and I was told 4.30's was too much for the car if I was going the blower route. So after careful consideration on some solid advice, I had a set of 4.10's installed in the car.

My overall impression is 4.10's to a 32V are the equivalent of 3.73's to (built) Fox body 5.0. Just enough to give it some spirit, but not enough to have some real fun. If the Vortech was not going on this car, I would have selected the 4.30's. I think the car is fine, but it just seems to need that extra bit. 4.30's and a set of moderate cams, and this car would be a lot of fun. However, I've always like superchargers, and I've chosen that route.

These cars are heavy, and they need a gear to get them up into the HP band. In this ongoing battle of the gears, I would recommend 4.30s for N.A. cars. I'll let you know how it goes once the SQ2 goes on it in week or so - something I'll be tackling myself, save for the new fuel pump install and a subsequent tune.

Last edited by Krashdavus; 06-08-2012 at 02:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Krashdavus is offline   Reply With Quote