View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 03:16 PM   #9
Bill Hamilton
Mustang owner since 1970

Re: How many of us are left?

I kept the stock exhaust on mine for eight years (or until I traded it in). I loved the sound as you heard the the intake sound more than the exhaust sound. It was a good system other than in certain areas like over the axle when it necked down smaller as it wasn't mandrel bent.

I learned my lesson with loud exhaust in my younger days. I had a '70 with 428 SCJ-4V with a pair of glasspack mufflers in the mid-70's and one night when no one was around, I hammered it pretty good and smoked the tires thru first gear and well into second while entering a main road. I never really got over 55 or 60 mph as the limit was 50 and I left it in 2nd gear and coasted back down to about 45. About a mile up this deserted road at 0200 in the morning a set of blue lights came out of nowhere and pulled me over. The Police Officer proceeded to tell me that he didn't see me speeding but he heard me (LOL). After chewing my butt for about 10 minutes, he let go with a verbal warning. That was the last car I had with LOUD mufflers.
My 1970 Mach

2003 Ford Mustang Mach I---Black w/5-speed --- gone but not forgotten
2011 Shelby GT-500 --- Ingot Silver Metallic and 6-speed (Sold and Now Terrorizing the residents of New Zealand)

1970 Ford Mustang Mach 1---White w/351C-4v Shaker Hood scoop and T-5 tranny
2014 Shelby GT-500 --- White/red stripes and 6-speed
2019 Mustang Convertible Premium Package w/automatic