Thread: NASCAR thread
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2010, 11:34 AM   #3218
G
Undocumented Member

Re: NASCAR thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcongtho3 View Post
I there has been talk of late of allowing Cup drivers to race any amount of N'Wide races, but not be eligible for the championship. Not a bad idea, maybe a seperate trophy got those who do chose to participate. I thing that a racer wants to race at any opportunity, and whether its the truck series of N'Wide series it's an additional chance to get behind the wheel of a race car and compete.

Let them go back to the way it was. The cup drivers used to drop in at local tracks and drive LMS, modifieds, IMCA, etc...

They gave the fans a thrill, picked up some show money, and normally put on a good show. Many times they would drive local cars. I remember having Petty, Pearson, and Donnie Allison show at our home track around 1969. They drove mid pack LMS cars when the seats were given up by the car owners. They finished 1st, 2nd, and 4th in those "filler" cars. Allison was actually leading the closing laps but when he was challenged by Pearson it gave Petty a chance to pass them both. What an exciting night. I was roughly 10 then and standing on the tire rack of our trailer when my Dad told me to get his helmet out of the truck. I handed to David Pearson who was about to take my dad's modified around some in practice.

It was a different time. I remember the drivers above and some of the locals having hot dogs, bologna burgers, watermelon, deviled eggs, RC cola, and crackers on our tailgate and open trailer. That was the short track life back then. It was the time of my life and I sure wish I had a digital camera back then.
1933 Ford 3W Coupe (4.6 dohc Stack Injection)
2003 Cobra TR (sold)
2014 Mustang GT (Track Pack) in Black
G is offline   Reply With Quote