View Single Post
Old 07-10-2009, 08:28 AM   #10
Darrin
Transmission guy

Re: How much hp can the stock tranny take?

On threads like this, the first thing I wonder is what transmission we are talking about. Did I miss that part? I looked over the thread several times and haven't found that info yet.

At this point I am only assuming that it's a manual since the people replying seem to have made that assumption as well and not been corrected.

Not trying to be an azz, but it really helps to know as many details as possible when trying to help answer a question.

Since I work on automatics and it hasn't been specified which we are really talking about yet, I will tell you about that end of it. As mentioned, the stock transmissions can be broken on stock power levels and that goes for both the manual and automatic. The 03 automatics are definitely weaker than the 04's for sure. The 04's can definitely handle a mild power adder without much trouble, but not so much with the 03's. Some can and some can't. It's a crapshoot. But, I wouldn't want to put a power number to it because I have seen some break with stock power and some live with more than 600rwhp.

A lot of it truly depends on stuff outside the transmission including everything from and between the tires to the driver. If you want peace of mind then the only way to go is to build everything to handle more than what you plan on asking of it.

Darrin
Darrin is offline   Reply With Quote