View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009, 03:52 PM   #1
Lord Umoja
Established Lurker

All Stick Drag Racers Look! Need Help.

I just got a call from the transmission shop that I took my stock 3650 to. The trans is ****ed 3 ways from sunday and needs 2nd and 3rd gears replaced, synchros, rings, gears and all. I am a weekend drag racer and the trans gave up after 150+ passes down the strip. I'm making 318wtq so somewhere north of the 360tq capacity of the 3650.

Here is my issue. I don't see the logic in repairing this transmission if it is going to break again with more track use. I am looking for a good manual transmission for drag racing that wont destroy the street driveability of the car. It is my daily driver until I can get my Nissan running, but thats a long way off (even longer now that I need a trans for the stang.) I like being able to cross the line in the top of third gear without having to hit a 3rd shift into 4th gear.

Does anyone have any reccomendations on transmissions? I would like to keep the budget under control becuase a) I'm very short on cash, the family has given up eating out to help me afford repairs, and b) every dollar saved on the Mustang is a step closer to finishing the Nissan. As said above I would like something that avoids the need to shift to 4th gear. I'm really in a bind here. Stuff breaks at the worst moment.

'04 Screaming Yellow Mach 1 "Jennifer"
Bassanni Catted X-Pipe, Catback, Hood Blackout, 315/35 BFG DR2s, AFS 17x10.5 Replicas, Professional Custom DiabloSport Tune, Stewart Warner UltraShift light, and XM Hardwire.
12.93 @ 107.24

'93 Nissan 240SX Convertible "Rei-Sen"
Restored from Critically Damaged Frame, Lexus Pearl White Paint, Original Factory Tonneau
Lord Umoja is offline   Reply With Quote