View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 04:55 PM   #17
NHFocus

Re: Fastbandit99 sold a crap tuner

Okay, this is Nick's friend, I'm the kid with the Focus. I spent a bit of time talking with pete about this after Nick left.

Basically, heres what happened:

Nick got the Performance Dyno with the tuner. Pete mentioned it was one fo the older models, no biggie there. He tried to plug it into the computer, and the computer said new hardware installed, as the tuner tried to connect. What happened next was it said 'dongle not supported' or something like that. Pete figured he would try to update the drivers on the computer, and did so. Tried to connect again, same thing.

At this point, Pete figured there was something wrong with it. He called SCT (which seems to be a regular occurence lately, given my cars dislike of tuners). Actually got right through for once, and told them the situation. They told him the firmware number to update, he used the number provided, and updated. Didn't work. So they asked Pete to read the firmware number off the tuner, and they said that was older firmware...and had us download the older firmware. Tuner still would not connect to the computer the way it was supposed to.

SCT then asked for the code off the back on the tuner, and asked him what the cvomputer said. When he told them it said 'dongle not supported' (or something with 'dongle'), they told him it was from another country, and thats why his hardware was not supporting it.

That is when they mentioned that we could send it to them to get it fixed for the $65 or so. SCT then told pete that he should be able to get around it by using liveload. That is how he actually got the tune for my car onto the unit.

It may work on Nicks car. The issue here is that it's not really what he thought it was. Any problems we are having now, even if they can be gotten around, are a hassle, and he didn't buy the tuner to have to fight with it every time we try to use it.

NOTES: Pete DOES use advantage3 to tune his cars, he has been an authorized SCT dealer for quite a long time (in fact, he was one of the first companies to buy into the SCT tuning software).

The tuner DOES turn on, and does show the live engine parameters, so in that regards, yes it works.

I believe Nick is just nervous about sending the unit back without receiving his money first, as he already feels he got screwed once (whether it was intentional or not (I doubt it, as he said he did research on you and found nothing negative)).

"Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me."

I make no accusations, I just don't think he got exactly what he thought he was getting. If it worked for your car and your tuner fine, then you had no way of knowing there would be ANY problems.
NHFocus is offline   Reply With Quote