2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles) (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   K&N RAI really this hard to service? (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=136322)

CajunMach1 01-27-2018 12:07 AM

K&N RAI really this hard to service?

I need to take the metal cover off on ours to reapply the seal that came loose but is it really this hard to service the filter on the K&N RAI on these cars?

This looks like a pain...https://youtu.be/xzMX4VcAM7c

Any easier tips appreciated, thanks

AlloyPony 01-27-2018 10:41 AM

Re: K&N RAI really this hard to service?

I don't have the K&N kit but that does look like a pain in the butt. Personally, I think the stock airbox is a pain too though. Could have been designed much better. It took me 10 minutes to get the scoop tube connected to the filter box when I had mine out last time.:wall:

JDraper 01-27-2018 10:45 AM

It's not hard to do at all. Just serviced mine 2 weeks ago. Just be careful not to over oil the filter or it will mess up your MAF sensor.

Disconnect the one bolt that holds the cover to the fender and pull the cover off. The air tube to the shaker just pops off, no connectors. Loosen the clamps that hold the intake to the throttle body, pop the MAF sensor connector off and lift the filter and intake as an assembly. Takes about 5 minutes.

CajunMach1 01-27-2018 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDraper (Post 1629651)
It's not hard to do at all. Just serviced mine 2 weeks ago. Just be careful not to over oil the filter or it will mess up your MAF sensor.
Disconnect the one bolt that holds the cover to the fender and pull the cover off. The air tube to the shaker just pops off, no connectors. Loosen the clamps that hold the intake to the throttle body, pop the MAF sensor connector off and lift the filter and intake as an assembly. Takes about 5 minutes.

Thanks for this info, I was wondering if there was a better alternative to the way he was doing it in that video.

CajunMach1 01-28-2018 01:25 PM

Like JDraper said: its a 10 mm nut down by the front of the engine and then the two hose clamps by the MAF which BTW, mine does NOT have the screen in it (!), I'm cleaning my filter now but didn't have any k&n oil so ordered a can from amazon, will reassemble during the week which will give it time to dry out, weather has been sucky here for weeks so it wont be going anywhere anyway :frown:.... thanks for the info gents :CHEERS:

BLUEOVALBOY 02-07-2018 07:19 AM

Its not that hard just take the tube that goes to the shaker completely off so its out of the way. Mine is a daily driver so I bought a extra filter so I can just change it out then I service the old and put it on the shelf.

CajunMach1 02-07-2018 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLUEOVALBOY (Post 1629880)
Its not that hard just take the tube that goes to the shaker completely off so its out of the way. Mine is a daily driver so I bought a extra filter so I can just change it out then I service the old and put it on the shelf.

Yeah, after we took it off to service, since this is my wife's garage queen, she wanted to go back to the OE stock air intake, she is one of those purists that likes it all stock and we bought all the loose parts from different people to return it to stock. The last part arrived today from one of the our forum members here :worship:

The K&N setup w/go on ebay shortly w/ a full can of oil.
(unless someone here needs one?)

Thanks to all the replied. :gears:

rich1 02-07-2018 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CajunMach1 (Post 1629886)
Yeah, after we took it off to service, since this is my wife's garage queen, she wanted to go back to the OE stock air intake, she is one of those purists that likes it all stock and we bought all the loose parts from different people to return it to stock. The last part arrived today from one of the our forum members here :worship:

The K&N setup w/go on ebay shortly w/ a full can of oil.
(unless someone here needs one?)

Thanks to all the replied. :gears:

Ok problem solved then..;). but it really takes about the same time to clean it and reinstall it (5min) or just talk about it.(5min) in the video.:eek:

CajunMach1 02-13-2018 06:32 PM

Back to stock, a happy wife makes for a happy life...said some famous man, lol
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4654/...9a548872_c.jpg
Need one clamp to be 100% other than that good to go.