2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles) (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Wheel hop with a solid axle... (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=98374)

CPMGNT 10-16-2009 09:53 AM

Wheel hop with a solid axle...

im just recently getting wheel hop instead of my tires spinning smoothly like it use to do. i have installed 31 spline moser axles, cobra diff, 4.10 gears. i have BFG kdw2 tires, just recently put them back on. had some M/T et streets on for a while. im just worried i could have a bent wheel or a warped axle? thanks for any advice.

03AV8R 10-16-2009 03:09 PM

Re: Wheel hop with a solid axle...

Wheel hop with a solid axle usually means something is "loose" somewhere.. If the tires themselves arent causing the problem due to traction or incorrect pressure or just not a good sticky tire for what your trying to do then the rear shocks is the First thing you need to inspect.. Are they adjustable?? Do you have them set to soft?? To soft will cause a "loose" condition & make the rear axle jump back & fourth because there is nothing "stiff" preventing it from doing so.. Next is the control arms.. Are they tight?? Rubber bushings?? where's the rubber bushngs?? Alot of launching & there is bound to be a rubber blown out somewhere.. There are 8 ends to look at on the control arms.. Its very unlikely you have anything bent causing wheel hop.. my guess it is a setup issue with rear shocks being to soft etc.. :33:

CPMGNT 10-16-2009 06:48 PM

thanks....ill inspect the bushings. i have stock control arms. tokiko blue shocks. h&r ss springs. tires and psi are good. maybe a shock went bad. thanks again. ill start invetigating. ill be doing some new brake pads soon. ill look then. i waqnt some mega bite control arms. might buy some and put those in same time.

BluBlurr32V 10-16-2009 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03cobraguy (Post 1212957)
do you have after market control arms ?

+1 LCA's improve traction and reduce wheel hop.

CompOrange 10-17-2009 03:14 AM

What all have you done to your rear end?

I'm leaning towards the direction of roy...just watched a guy destroy his drive shaft in a Fox tonight because the dipshît let the thing dry hop in the burnout. The guy staging people for burnouts wasn't pushing people into the box enough and this guy ends up doing a burnout on dry ET Drags. Worse yet is that the fool kept his **** foot in it after the car squated and then unloaded sending it into a wheel hop. The **** wheel hop got so severe that he shît pieces of the drive shaft and the yoke all over.

Something about the way the car was leaving all night just didn't look right, seemed like the car would load up and then unload meaning a little stiffer shock setting would have probably been beneficial. I think the soft shock setting or blown rubber bushings might be your problem. Didn't take me long on slicks to kill those things. Blown out bushings equals a recipe for fail...

3150Mach1 10-17-2009 07:59 AM

You need to upgrade the control arms!!!!!