2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Registry Discussion (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   NASCAR thread (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55315)

02mach1 05-05-2007 12:15 AM

Re: NASCAR thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackpony04 (Post 789841)
YAY! Too bad Reutimann is doing well in comparison or there'd be ZERO Toyotas running the race....

Just like in good old days:tongue:

I feeling 24# end up in the wall by our good old friend Tony #20

G 05-05-2007 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by machths (Post 788983)
I never liked Dale Earnhardt either, but man, comparing him to Andy ****...that's just wrong. :27: Have a little respect for the dead.

In that comparison, Dale Sr was obviously Chuck "freaking" Norris and Jeffy would be the Andy D!ck. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by machths (Post 788983)
Well, seeing that he shoved Kenseth, which isn't exactly the epitome of a man...it's understandable that "got away with one." You can see that there wasn't a lot of risk there on Gordon's part.

That was my point, he would never push me a second time. If Matt would have slugged him they would have probably banned all of Jack's teams. NASCAR can get tough on the CITH's boys. :what:

G 05-05-2007 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02mach1 (Post 789883)
Just like in good old days:tongue:

Oh no, not that. I'm not sure it won't be the 48 that gets him. :bigeyes:

ylopony 05-05-2007 07:50 AM

Tony is going to get tangled up with a Toyota in this race. Why a Toyota? Because he's going to be in the back of the field where they are. :23:

Now as a Gordon fan, I do have to agree the push with Kenseth was a real embarrassment. At least take of the helmet when you do that. It was a coward thing to do.

As for Jeff's moral issues and prior divorce, that's not my concern. I'm sure there are many others out there on the track with issues that would shock us all if brought out in the open. That's life in general. I'm sure that if everyone's lives on M1R were revealed many of us would be shocked.

Jeff's streak ends today. However it's Jimmie for the win. Denny Hamlin, Mark Martin, Jeff Gordon, and Kenseth rounding out the top 5.

G 05-05-2007 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ylopony (Post 789956)
Tony is going to get tangled up with a Toyota in this race. Why a Toyota? Because he's going to be in the back of the field where they are. :23:

Now as a Gordon fan, I do have to agree the push with Kenseth was a real embarrassment. At least take of the helmet when you do that. It was a coward thing to do.

As for Jeff's moral issues and prior divorce, that's not my concern. I'm sure there are many others out there on the track with issues that would shock us all if brought out in the open. That's life in general. I'm sure that if everyone's lives on M1R were revealed many of us would be shocked.
Jeff's streak ends today. However it's Jimmie for the win. Denny Hamlin, Mark Martin, Jeff Gordon, and Kenseth rounding out the top 5.

I agree with most of that. My life would bore the heil out of everyone but I know what you mean. I'm hoping for a Burton win today. Martin or Rudd would be fine too. :D

klondike93 05-05-2007 02:41 PM

Watching the practice yesterday they had Dale Joke as the second fastest and he didn't qualify?

Quote:

Well, I guy can hope eh?

falcongtho3 05-06-2007 06:45 PM

Well, that was about enough to make me want to hand in my NASCAR watchers guide. A Toyota came in ahead of the highest finishing Ford. JJ wins again, and Hendricks fills the top three spots. I'd say something like 'this is rigged' or Hendricks is being given a cheat, but then I'd be given whatever they gave Stewart to make him tow the party line for NASCAR. This might be IT for me...

:borg:

03mach69mach 05-06-2007 08:38 PM

welcome to the growing number of former nascar fans:D

G 05-06-2007 08:55 PM

Keep in mind this is cup racing, not the grassroots NASCAR racers. I've been a real fan since the mid 60's and my Dad was a modified racer from the earliest days. If you know your NASCAR history --- not much has changed. There has always been someone appearing to get an unfair advantage and there has always been a Jack Roush type.

No need to jump ship, it's the best racing in the world.

birdman941 05-06-2007 09:04 PM

The cars look gay now.

falcongtho3 05-06-2007 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geoffav (Post 790586)
Keep in mind this is cup racing, not the grassroots NASCAR racers. I've been a real fan since the mid 60's and my Dad was a modified racer from the earliest days. If you know your NASCAR history --- .

No question I know my NASCAR history, and it's the recent history that has me worried. Ther have been many articles in major automotive publications recently focusing on the decline of NASCAR. For a while I would read them with skepticism, because I didn't want to believe what I was reading. Now I realize that they're not only right on target, but that the Toyota move is/was one of the few growth moves NASCAR could make and we all know how well that one's going over. Until they find a way to make more weekends in a year to have more races or expand to a multi race weekend, I think it's not only hit the proverbial wall, but their showcasing of those premier teams who look good on the magazine covers and merchandise get all the 'breaks'. Imagine that, Tony Stewart...

ylopony 05-06-2007 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falcongtho3 (Post 790603)
I think it's not only hit the proverbial wall, but their showcasing of those premier teams who look good on the magazine covers and merchandise get all the 'breaks'. Imagine that, Tony Stewart...

The top teams will always be dominate in Nascar. It's the same in any major racing venue, not just Nascar. The big teams with the multi drivers and the huge sponsorships have the resources to hire the best drivers, the best crews, the best mechanics, and etc etc etc. This translates to wins on the track. Hendricks dominating right now is nothing different than Jack Roush and his team a couple of years ago with all of his team in the top 10.

I don't think for a minute that the races are rigged or staged or planned or whatever. There is no smoking gun in the grassy knoll here. The Hendricks team has some great drivers. Johnson and Gordon have proven to be amoung the best. Kyle Busch has a lot of talent. In short they have great drivers and some of the best crews in the business.

The way I see it, Junior Johnson changed the sport to the way it is today. Prior to Johnson and his dominate cars in the 70's most of the cars were self owned. Jr. came in and dominated in the 70's with his top drivers and big sponsors. Dominate teams come and go. Hendricks won it in 95,96,97,98,01,06. Childress in 90,91,93,94. Joe Gibbs 2000,2002,2005. And Roush 2003,2004.

birdman941 05-06-2007 10:21 PM

Brian France drives a Lexus :wtf:
RIP ASSCAR

04VAMach1 05-07-2007 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ylopony (Post 790618)
I don't think for a minute that the races are rigged or staged or planned or whatever.

I don't think that the races are staged, but rules have been inconsistently enforced for decades and the ones that are enforced are changed to the benefit of the most influential people. The "good ole boy" system is still in effect, unfortunately too many other things have changed for my taste which is why I gave up all of my season tickets.

03mach69mach 05-07-2007 11:41 AM

When Nascar hands out restrictor plates & shocks to teams for cars they can affect a race. I have always felt like they (Nascar) through plates, shocks & tires, can affect (not stage) a race so that those teams with large sponsorship $$ on the line can have a shot at the win. Let's face it, there are only 6-8 cars, week in & out, that have a legitimate shot to win the race. The rest are running for a top 15 place. Look at the companies in the top 10

Dupont-(One of the worlds largest chemical companies)
Lowes- ( 1385 Stores in 49 states & Mexico)
Dewalt-(World wide brand of construction tools)
FedEX- (32.293 billion in revenue & one of the largest delivery carriers in the world)
AT&T/Cingular (Huge telecommunications company)
Kelloggs-(100 year old food manufacture...you probably ate one of the products today)
Home Depot- (2147 Stores 90 billion in sales)
Shell Oil
Miller Brewing
DirecTV

The above is your current top 10.

Big $$ and that is what Nascar is about.

ylopony 05-07-2007 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03mach69mach (Post 790878)
When Nascar hands out restrictor plates & shocks to teams for cars they can affect a race. I have always felt like they (Nascar) through plates, shocks & tires, can affect (not stage) a race so that those teams with large sponsorship $$ on the line can have a shot at the win. Let's face it, there are only 6-8 cars, week in & out, that have a legitimate shot to win the race. The rest are running for a top 15 place. Look at the companies in the top 10

Dupont-(One of the worlds largest chemical companies)
Lowes- ( 1385 Stores in 49 states & Mexico)
Dewalt-(World wide brand of construction tools)
FedEX- (32.293 billion in revenue & one of the largest delivery carriers in the world)
AT&T/Cingular (Huge telecommunications company)
Kelloggs-(100 year old food manufacture...you probably ate one of the products today)
Home Depot- (2147 Stores 90 billion in sales)
Shell Oil
Miller Brewing
DirecTV

The above is your current top 10.

Big $$ and that is what Nascar is about.

You are correct, it's about big $$$. However your theory about the top 10 is not accurate. There are HUGE companies not in the top 10 and many near the bottom. Here's a few that are on some of the cars.

Reutimann - Domino's Pizza 5.1 Billion in annual sales
Ragan - American Automobile Association
Earnhardt JR.- Budweiser (Anheiser Busch)
Riggs- Valvoline 1.3 Billion annual sales
Yeley- Interstate Batteries 13 Million batteries a year.
Gilliland - M & M's(Mars Corp.) 18 billion annual sales
Sorrenson - Target Stores - 23 billion annual US sales alone
Montoya - Texaco/ Havoline
Jarrett- United Parcel Service (Still the largest in the world)
Green - Best Buy
Rudd- Snickers(Mars corp.) 18 billion annual sales
Raines - DLP(Texas Instruments)

There are some heavy hitters above that have not been able to translate that to wins. From top to bottom it takes money and a lot of it.

birdman941 05-07-2007 01:51 PM

And NAPA.
$50 in sales..............................

03mach69mach 05-07-2007 02:27 PM

Reuitman
Ragan
Riggs
Yeley
Gilliland
Sorrenson
Raines

Who are these guys? They may have big sponsors, but not the biggest and can't deliver the Face or name brand (like Earnhardt or Gordon) with the sponsor for Nascar. Have any of them won a Winston/Nextel cup race? Do they have a chance week in and week out.

Earnhardt Jr.- well, Nascar has done the best they can do to change the championship series to allow him a chance to win, including adding a couple more spots to the Sprint. He is a great guy, with lots of sponsor appeal and very popular, so Nascar loves him.

Montoya- Bring on the hispanic market share and all the new potential Nascar fans. Amazing how he won the race in Mexico?!

Jarrett, Green & Rudd (Martin & Waltrip)- Old guys in the twilight of their careers who can retain sponsors on what they have done, but have little chance win week in and out.

Several instances come to mind that lead you to believe that Nascar can alter or shift competition. I like to call it that as cheating or fixing sounds so harsh.

Look all the way back to July 4th, 1984 needing one more win to get 200, with President Reagan present, Petty 'wins' 200. Wins no more races although drives until 1992 (btw, Petty's last race was Gordon's first). Imagine the odds.

Or how about after 20 years of being the bridesmaid, in 1998 Dale Earnhardt wins the one race that has eluded him his entire career.

Micheal Waltrip, after having never won a race (and at the time, the longest loosing streak) wins the first race of his career & with DEI. What are the odds?!

Or how about Indy boy Gordon wins inagural Brickyard 400 in 1994. Imagine the odds.
Or how California born Golden boy Gordon wins the inagural California race in 1997, wow.

A whole lot of amazing finishes that grew the audience and following along the way. Imagine how boring each week would be if you had Ruetmann, Yaley, Sorrenson & Ragan winning. Imagine the television ratings and how they would plummett (remember that there are a lot of commercials to pay for the Nascar television contract). Tony Stupi- Stewart is the only guy with the kahoneys to speak the truth. Watch if he wins a race this year after the Nascar comment. He might, but my bet is he won't.

Now, if Nascar could only teach Hulk Hogan to shift gears, can you imagine how many viewers you could attract!

Blackpony04 05-07-2007 02:31 PM

Am I the only one thinking the Chevys have a distinct advantage with the COT? I know Hendricks and Gibbs are great teams but there isn't a Ford or a Dodge with more than 20 laps led over 4 races! And Ford finally broke it's streak of 1 lap led yesterday when Kenseth led during green flag pitstops...

Also, I love short tracks the best (especially at night) but this year both Bristol and Richmond were stinkers. I was totally bored yesterday to the point that I actually watched the movie Ultraviolet on HBO during half the race (if that doesn't spell desperate I don't know what does cuz that movie sucked!).

03mach69mach 05-07-2007 02:34 PM

Sorry for the long rant. Just my .02 from a Nascar fan from back in the day. I miss the old days. It's just not the same and for me (and maybe not most of you) it's not better.

And yes, I was a huge fan. I grew up listening to Nascar on the AM radio Sunday afternoons with my dad. My oldest son was born the year we lost Davey Allison & Alan Kulwicki. His name is David Alan in honor of two of the best drivers ever.

Go ahead, wear me out:tongue:

machths 05-07-2007 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdman941 (Post 790946)
And NAPA.
$50 in sales..............................

Is that just from you today?

birdman941 05-07-2007 04:28 PM

Yeah but I returned it for a refund.

G 05-07-2007 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03mach69mach (Post 790973)
Jarrett, Green & Rudd (Martin & Waltrip)- Old guys in the twilight of their careers who can retain sponsors on what they have done, but have little chance win week in and out.

can you imagine how many viewers you could attract!

Martin is always a possible winner!!!! Have you been watching the races this year. :what:

03mach69mach 05-07-2007 09:18 PM

When Martin left Ford, he became a loser to me. And he proves the point that Nascar helps teams out. Let me get this straight, he leaves a proven team with resources, money & sponsorship for a team that didn't exist last year, that put together his deal in like 6 months w/ Chevrolet and almost won Daytona for the first time. If that had happened, you could add that to the other against all odds that I posted earlier. Come on people, you don't believe that Martins team is that much better or is he a better driver than the last 20 years?

Everybody is entitled to thier oppinion, mine is the same as Tony Stewart's. Ouch, that hurt to say that!:)

gvervoren 05-07-2007 09:41 PM

Why is it when Roush was dominating a couple years back like mentioned before, I didn't hear anyone say that NASCAR was playing favorites. Now that the Hendrick organization is doing the exact same thing 2 years later, people are saying that NASCAR is playing favorites with the Hendricks team. Yes money does drive this sport. I won't argue with that. BUT, when it was mentioned about Martin doing so well this year, you have to remember, they did a lot of changes on the team as well. They moved people around and it is basically a completly different team then it was last year. You see that alot in that the Roush camp. A couple of teams might be struggling pretty bad. They move a few people around or change crew chiefs an BAM, that team is kicking butt again. So in other words, you really say it is strictly the money that wins races cause there are some pretty well financed teams not doing so hot. Take Ryan Newman for instance, Penske has plenty of cash and Newman has a great sponsor, yet he is not been doing to well the last couple of years.