2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Registry Discussion (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Batteries (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137132)

ASH302 11-20-2020 11:42 AM

Batteries

I have noticed not very long ago that batteries today, do not last like they use to. If I remember right, my mach battery was over 8 years old in my 04 SY, before I swapped it out. The reason I say this, is because most of them that i'm dealing with now, they only seem to last 2 to 3 years on all my equipment. I really notice this in my John Deere equipment, tractor, mower, gator, etc. Even my wife 2018 Explorer Sport battery just got replaced and the new one from Ford came with a 3 year warranty. I just feel that something has happen to the quality of batteries. Is anyone else experiencing this or know the why this is happening.

ASh

DSG2003Mach1 11-20-2020 12:38 PM

Re: Batteries

welcome to the new era - make it all cheap **** so you have to keep replacing it. Ive been through multiple motorcraft batteries under warranties in my 2012 F150, the first couple kept leaking around the positive terminal.

Traditional style batteries are down to 2 companies now and they keep making the lead thinner and thinner. As to why optima went down the toilet I dont know. These days I just buy the cheapest battery with 3 year free replacement because I know I'm going to get either a free or very cheap replacement.

Odyssey is making one hell of a tough battery, its significantly heavier vs comparable size but it's also significantly more $. If downtime isn't directly sucking money out of your wallet it's hard to justify

Back to my original point - I've even read articles about how things like an electric toothbrush are intentionally made with wire a tiny amount thinner than it should be so that every time you charge it the wiring degrades a little more. If it works out right (for the manufacturer), it'll fail just after the warranty and you get to buy a new one.

BONESTOCK 11-20-2020 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSG2003Mach1 (Post 1637313)
welcome to the new era - make it all cheap **** so you have to keep replacing it. Ive been through multiple motorcraft batteries under warranties in my 2012 F150, the first couple kept leaking around the positive terminal.

Traditional style batteries are down to 2 companies now and they keep making the lead thinner and thinner. As to why optima went down the toilet I dont know. These days I just buy the cheapest battery with 3 year free replacement because I know I'm going to get either a free or very cheap replacement.

Odyssey is making one hell of a tough battery, its significantly heavier vs comparable size but it's also significantly more $. If downtime isn't directly sucking money out of your wallet it's hard to justify

Back to my original point - I've even read articles about how things like an electric toothbrush are intentionally made with wire a tiny amount thinner than it should be so that every time you charge it the wiring degrades a little more. If it works out right (for the manufacturer), it'll fail just after the warranty and you get to buy a new one.

:Flame:

jbrad88 11-21-2020 07:14 AM

Best I have been able to manage out of the Optima is @ 4 years but that is with a battery tender on it from @ year 2 on. I have been working from home since a year before covid, so the car will usually only get used on the weekend. So it may sit 5-6 days without any use, or minimal short-hops to the gym or grocery store.

With that said, I think the plan of going with a lower cost battery and a 3 year warranty is the best way. With our summer hear and humidity here in Houston batteries take a real beating anyway.

The odyssey batteries are interesting, but much more than even the optima...

Optima quality went south when the manufacturing went south as well. There are a few articles out there that discuss that..

ASH302 11-21-2020 12:29 PM

Well i'm glad i'm not the only one that has notice this, wanted to make sure I was thinking correctly.
From what each of you said, it does sound like the cheaper/3 year ones are the way to go. I just hate that when I am about to go do something and it won't start, just frustrating really.

ASh

Thunderbolt 11-21-2020 07:43 PM

Just get another Motorcraft. My stock battery last about 9 years and I replaced it with another Motorcraft and 9 years later it's still working. The only thing I know is the Optima's are junk.

CandMBennett 11-21-2020 08:37 PM

Go with the Motorcraft battery and when not in use use a good quality battery tender. Should dramatically make the battery last longer 👍

bris09 12-04-2020 09:00 PM

Yeah, used to be a huge Interstate fan. Last few didn't do so well. Also had to replace an Optima that was less than a year old.

Getting nervous about the battery in the Mach. It is one of the Ford GT batteries that I bought years ago. Thinking it is over 10 years old if not more. Spends most of its life on a tender. Put less than 300 miles on the car this year.

ab_mach1 12-07-2020 02:34 PM

I was leery over buying an Optima or Interstate battery based on what I've read on forums the last couple years. Seems like they are not that great. I had the generic battery that O-Reilly sells for about 3 years before it died. I ended up buying a Motorcraft battery after that short stint. I've had it for a little over 2 years. Last winter was my first winter with a battery tender. I recommend an tender even if you drive your cars year round. I've put my tender on my sons car twice no to charge it overnight because it sits so much. I put in on my daily driver when I was on vacation this past summer since I knew it would sit for a good two weeks while I drove the Mach everywhere LOL. They're so handy and really pretty cheap.