2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Registry Discussion (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   NASCAR thread (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55315)

falcongtho3 07-06-2013 10:43 PM

Re: NASCAR thread

I'm about done with the whole dog and pony show...

:borg:

blown03Mach1 07-06-2013 11:08 PM

Yaaaawn.... The guy who is such a tool that Lowe's sees fit to sponsor him, walked away with this one... Again...:28::28:

falcongtho3 07-28-2013 02:24 PM

I suddenly have a question for NASCAR.
Is Chevy legal in running a body that is representative of a car that is not currently for sale (on the showroom floor) to the general public? I know the Caprice version or PPV is on the road, btu I have yet to see an SS on the road, on a lot or even for sale on ebay.
I'd have to say that every point/win/dollar given them should be forfeit until this car is on the road.

not a gt 07-28-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falcongtho3 (Post 1555987)
Is Chevy legal in running a body that is representative of a car that is not currently for sale (on the showroom floor) to the general public? I know the Caprice version or PPV is on the road, btu I have yet to see an SS on the road, on a lot or even for sale on ebay.
I'd have to say that every point/win/dollar given them should be forfeit until this car is on the road.

Great question, and legit beef !! :grr:

falcongtho3 07-29-2013 06:57 AM

Checked flea-bay, cars.com and autotrader.com, and there was not one for sale anywhere. The season is over half over and the bowtie guys are still running a car that has yet to cast a shadow on a showroom floor.

gvervoren 07-30-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falcongtho3 (Post 1555987)

I never thought of it but yeah, they are suppose to be racing cars that resemble cars you can buy. I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up to NASCAR yet.

311-420 07-30-2013 07:47 PM

Hmmmm.....thats interesting

blown03Mach1 09-08-2013 10:51 AM

Well once again with this stupid Chase format, the racing season ended 10 races too early for me.

NASCAR lost another fan till next year as the remainder of the racing now only matters for 12 drivers, the rest are just in the way in NASCARs Eyes.

Not sure why sponsors of cars not in the chase continue to back their cars beyond 26 races?

Rant over and time to find something to do on my vehicles.

falcongtho3 09-08-2013 12:25 PM

Was glad to see Carl win, and Johnson have a continuation of his bad luck. Hope it holds through the Chase.
Still wondering why we are at the end of the regular season and the GM teams are still allowed to run a car which does not exist in the showrooms, on the dealer lots or roads of America?

not a gt 09-08-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falcongtho3 (Post 1560176)
Was glad to see Carl win, and Johnson have a continuation of his bad luck. Hope it holds through the Chase.
Still wondering why we are at the end of the regular season and the GM teams are still allowed to run a car which does not exist in the showrooms, on the dealer lots or roads of America?

First, big win for Ford, as usual clapped and hooted watching that #48 car throw sparks, in addition to GM issue, how about Toyota using guys not in the Chase to be running different engines as testing program that are not approved by NASCAR?? Just doesn't seem fair with the strict testing rules that NASCAR has implemented, that you can go to the track for the rest of the season as a test bed, yea I know they probably ALL do it, doesn't make it right, Toyota came to forefront since they blew 2 or 3 motors that they were testing last week or week before.

Totally agree with blown 03, can't see why a sponsor would puy money into a car that they know CAN'T win the Chase, would be so cool if when the 12 cars are picked and set, the first race for the Cup, exactly 12 trailers only show up to the track, think that would end the nonsense!!

311-420 09-08-2013 03:33 PM

Guys- sponsors pay for all of the races at the beginning of each year, not on a week by week basis.

Thunderbolt 09-08-2013 04:10 PM

Edwards jumped the restart. Nascar says they're reviewing the race, but it clearly shows him ahead before the start/finsh line.

blown03Mach1 09-08-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 311-420 (Post 1560192)
Guys- sponsors pay for all of the races at the beginning of each year, not on a week by week basis.

Not 100% true. Ask Jr. where his Mt. Dew sponsorship is for the remaining 10 races?

More to my point, future contracts 26 races long and then chase dependent after that. If I was a sponsor that is what I would put into my contract.

falcongtho3 09-08-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderbolt (Post 1560194)
Edwards jumped the restart. Nascar says they're reviewing the race, but it clearly shows him ahead before the start/finsh line.

I think they called it right as the lead car either held back or spun his tires and dropped back when the flag was thrown. It was pretty obvious on replay that if Carl had dropped back to accomidate him he probably would have caused a big wreck.

Rice_slayer 09-09-2013 07:51 AM

The reason why edwards was not black flagged was because menard had made physical contact with edwards car before the start finish line. If that happens, doesn't matter who makes it to the line first...

blown03Mach1 09-09-2013 02:08 PM

The more I am reading about how the race ended, I am calling NASCAR rigged if NASCAR does not respond to why Bowyers crew chief asked him "if his arm hurt?" and then moments later asked "if it was hot in the car?". Followed by "if your arms itches, scratch it". All the while Bowyer said NOTHING about his arm or the heat. Code words for a fix? I think so!

Then as the field gets ready to go green for the last time Vickers crew chief tells him he needs to pit, which he did. Vickers asked if he had a tire going down and his crew chief said "we will talk after the race and i owe you a kiss". Oh BTW this action allowed both Lagano and Truex in the chase. Fixed or not?

Not sure how NASCAR will be able to turn a blind eye to these two events as it was obvious what they were doing and that was not for the betterment of the sport!

IMHO NASCAR needs to step back an reevaluate the chase if teams are allowed to fix the outcome for other team members or under table deals between teams. In baseball, the players got banned for life when betting on the sport for fear of fixing the outcome, how do you think this will end for NASCAR?

CNN today

[url]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1766433-was-clint-bowyers-late-spinout-in-nascars-richmond-finale-fair-or-foul?

Was Clint Bowyer's late spinout at Richmond in Saturday night's final qualifying race for the Chase for the Sprint Cup fair or foul?

That's the question that countless NASCAR fans have been asking, further prodded by allegations of intentional cheating and conspiracy theories on social media.

NASCAR said Sunday that it will review all video related to the incident to determine if there indeed was subterfuge and impropriety.

NASCAR president Mike Helton told the Associated Press (via ESPN) before the Camping World Truck Series race in Iowa:

We didn't see anything that indicated that anything like that was taking place. And it's natural when everything was as close as it was between who was going to get in and not go in to scratch your heads and try to figure out and wonder why.

But we didn't see anything initially (Saturday) night that indicated that, but certainly we'll go back through all the video and everything to be sure, because we take the responsibility very serious to be sure that it's -- that everybody has had a fair chance.

Let's break things down—and then you decide what's fair or foul.

What should NASCAR do?
Kick Truex and Logano out of the Chase and reinstate Gordon and Newman.
Heavily fine MWR, take points away from Bowyer and have him start the Chase with a negative balance.
Do nothing and run the risk that it may face a huge fan fallout.
Expand this year's edition of the Chase to 14 drivers (adding Newman and Gordon) as a best compromise.
Submit Vote vote to see results

Fair: Bowyer insists he had a tire going down, and indeed, his tire ultimately blew out and shredded as he made his way back to pit road.

"We had a flat tire or something. It just snapped around," Bowyer said (via the Associated Press), later adding, "I know it's a lot of fun for you guys to write a lot of wacky things. Go ahead if you want to, get creative. But don't look too much into it."

Foul: In-car audio between Bowyer and his team gave the impression that a type of code may have been used to prompt Bowyer to intentionally spin.

"Thirty-nine (Ryan Newman) is going to win the race," Bowyer was told over his radio, according to AP.

Then, Bowyer's crew chief, Brian Pattie, made a couple of rather odd statements just before Bowyer's car spun: "Is your arm starting to hurt?"

Shortly after, he said, "I bet it's hot in there. Itch it."

Foul: When the race restarted with three laps to go, another peculiar exchange came over the Michael Waltrip Racing team radio, this time involving part-time teammate Brian Vickers.

As the AP reported:

Vickers was told by MWR general manager Ty Norris to pit because "we need that 1 point."

"We're probably going to pit here on green," Norris says.

"Are you talking to me?" a surprised Vickers asks.

Vickers continued to question the call, at one point asking, "I don't understand, pit right now?"

"You've got to pit this time. We need that 1 point," Norris replies.

"10-4. Do I got a tire going down?" Vickers asked.

Vickers then pitted as the field went green. When he asked after if his crew found anything with the tire, Norris replied, "I'll see you after the race, Brian, I owe you a kiss."

That allowed Joey Logano to move into 10th place in the live in-race Sprint Cup season standings. With Logano earning a guaranteed berth reserved for the top 10 finishing drivers and knocking out Jeff Gordon in the process, it opened up a wild-card spot that ultimately went to Martin Truex Jr. to make the Chase.

Gordon has no wins this season, while Truex has one. As a result, Truex moved up into the wild-card spot while Gordon missed the Chase by one point by being unable to maintain a spot in the top 10. It was the only way he would have been guaranteed to make the playoffs.

Fair: Ryan Newman pitted after Bowyer spun, entering with the lead but leaving in fifth place. Try as he might to get back to the front of the field and win the race, which would have guaranteed him a spot in the Chase, Newman finished third and ultimately missed the Chase.

If Newman had any inkling that Bowyer intentionally spun to bring out the caution, don't you think he would have confronted Bowyer for any alleged shenanigans?

Instead, Newman blamed his pit crew, according to Tom Jensen of Fox Sports:

We came down pit road first. Carl (Edwards) came off pit road second. We should have been at least second at that point. We didn't do our job on pit road. Four tires won the race. We were the first car to be in position on four tires and we didn't get the job done.

We did everything we needed to up until the last caution. I'm not sure exactly what unfolded there. We still had the opportunity to win it on pit road and we didn't.

To his credit, Newman battled back from leaving pit road fifth, but it wasn't enough. He needed a win to become the lone representative of Stewart-Haas Racing in the Chase.

Unfortunately, Newman came up short. He even said so, per Jensen:

Coming from (fifth) to third in a couple laps is not bad, but we had to win, so it's disappointing.

Didn't expect to make up for everything we didn't get in the first 25 (races) in the last race, but we were in position. We did everything we needed to with the exception of the (final) pit stop... Obviously, we were in a position to take that second wild card with two wins. Nevertheless, I still feel like we lost it on pit road. It's disappointing. We'll go on.

Foul: The rush to judgment was immediate. ABC's chief NASCAR analysts all vehemently claimed Bowyer pulled a fast one.

Fans lit up social media, including Twitter and Facebook, crying foul.

While NASCAR did nothing after the race, there has been enough of a hue and cry from fans and media alike that officials are indeed reviewing all sources of video from both in-house and ABC cameras to determine if something is truly fishy.

Conclusion: If, after checking out the video, in-car audio and other evidence, NASCAR agrees with incensed fans and media alike, it has perhaps one of the biggest scandals on its hands in both the 10-year history of the Chase and the organization's 65 years.

Penalties and fines may still be assessed if NASCAR does an about-face and decides that there were rules violations, if not complete disregard of fair play and good sportsmanship.

While the Chase begins Sunday at Chicagoland Speedway, the next several days could become some of the most important in the sport's annals.

If NASCAR finds violations and doesn't do anything, it will indirectly give tacit approval of teams continuing to game the system, not to mention run the risk of losing a lot of fans.

And if it does try to dish out penalties and fines, whom does it penalize? Vickers, who wasn't even eligible for the Chase? MWR? Bowyer? Pattie? How do you penalize against something that, at least on the surface, could potentially have been what it appeared, a blown-out tire?

No matter what it does, NASCAR is sitting in a damned if it does and damned if it doesn't conundrum. It can't change the outcome of the race or the Chase and allow Newman and Gordon entry while kicking out Logano (who did nothing at all) and Truex. If it did that, it would only muck things up even more in a situation that has gotten too murky already.

What will NASCAR do? Better yet, what would you do if you had any say in all?

not a gt 09-09-2013 03:18 PM

Very well put post above!!! :thumbsup: The whole Chase thing is not going the way NASCAR thought (or maybe it is), plus the "True "We know Danica can't drive stop pushing her down our throat" NASCAR fan" that REALLY follows the sport can see PLAINLY what is going on :angry:

I want a "Debris on the track" cam, maybe we can play it backward in slow mo and finally find out where the hot dog wrappers are coming from, lol!!

blown03Mach1 09-09-2013 09:02 PM

NASCAR has spoken.

Trues out, Newmann in. MWR a while lot lighter in the wallet!

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-med...mwr-chase.html

NASCAR PENALIZES MICHAEL WALTRIP RACING
September 09, 2013, NASCAR official news release, NASCAR.com

Pins Share

Following event at Richmond International Raceway

UPDATED CHASE FOR THE NASCAR SPRINT CUP STANDINGS

Pos. Driver Points Behind
1 Matt Kenseth 2015 --
2 Jimmie Johnson 2012 -3
3 Kyle Busch 2012 -3
4 Kevin Harvick 2006 -9
5 Carl Edwards 2006 -9
6 Joey Logano 2003 -12
7 Greg Biffle 2003 -12
8 Clint Bowyer 2000 -15
9 Dale Earnhardt Jr. 2000 -15
10 Kurt Busch 2000 -15
11 Kasey Kahne 2000 -15
12 Ryan Newman 2000 -15

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (Sept. 9, 2013) – NASCAR has issued penalties to Michael Waltrip Racing following the sanctioning body’s review of Saturday’s race at Richmond International Raceway.

MWR was found to have violated Section 12-4 (Actions detrimental to stock car racing). As a result, MWR’s three teams in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series (No. 15, 55, 56) have been penalized with the loss of 50 championship driver and 50 championship owner points, respectively.These point penalties are assessed following the season’s 26th regular season race and not after the seeding for the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup. Therefore, the point total for the No. 56 car driven by Martin Truex Jr. is reduced to 691, putting him in 17th position and eliminating him from the second Wild Card berth for the Chase field. Ryan Newman, driver of the No. 39 car, now moves up into the Chase as the second Wild Card participant.

NASCAR has also fined the MWR organization $300,000 and indefinitely suspended Ty Norris, MWR Executive Vice President/General Manager and spotter for the No. 55 car, for violating Section 12-4. The three crew chiefs – Brian Pattie (No. 15), Scott Miller (No. 55) and Chad Johnston (No. 56) – have all been placed on NASCAR probation until Dec. 31.

“Based upon our review of Saturday night’s race at Richmond, it is our determination that the MWR organization attempted to manipulate the outcome of the race,” said Robin Pemberton, NASCAR vice president of competition. “As the sport’s sanctioning body, it is our responsibility to ensure there is a fair and level playing field for all of our competitors and this action today reflects our commitment to that.”

mach18604 09-09-2013 09:02 PM

Crazy isnt it

gvervoren 09-09-2013 10:01 PM

GOOD! I'm glad they got booted out. They deserve it!!!

blown03Mach1 09-09-2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gvervoren (Post 1560346)
GOOD! I'm glad they got booted out. They deserve it!!!

Agree!

Not that they can do anything about Bowyer unless someone from the team admits they wrecked on purpose.

ar15topgun 09-11-2013 04:32 PM

NAPA will probably pull their sponsorship from MWR.

gvervoren 09-11-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ar15topgun (Post 1560550)
NAPA will probably pull their sponsorship from MWR.

It's possible.

From what I have heard through in-car radio conversations and interviews, I really don't think Vickers or Truex Jr. had any clue what was going on. I think this was all done through crew chiefs and MWR managers. Vickers was totally confused on why he had to pit. It seems to me that Bowyer was the only driver that knew what was going on.

falcongtho3 09-11-2013 08:47 PM

NAPA has made a statement, and they ain't happy!

blown03Mach1 09-11-2013 10:42 PM

Now it is being reported that Penske Racing cut a deal with Front Row Motorsports to let Lagano pass Gilliland in the final laps of the race. Oh by the way, that just happened to allow Lagano to secure a chase birth.

Not sure how more crap like this NASCAR needs to see and hear before they wake up to the smell of burning rubber and see the only answer to fix all this is eliminate that STUPID chase!