2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Registry Discussion (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   NASCAR thread (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55315)

kiler be 11-22-2010 08:17 PM

Re: NASCAR thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbranton (Post 1337030)
All down hill

after Awesome Bill.

:worship:+1

212.809....after that all the cry babies have had control over NASCAR.

birdman941 11-22-2010 08:19 PM

Met him a few times at Ford Development,
really a cool guy.
Met his Mom in Dawsonville.

G 11-22-2010 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gvervoren (Post 1336978)
In a way, yes I am comparing apples to oranges but the point I'm trying to make is back then, you only had a handful of cars that even had a chance to win at any given weekend as compared to now you have at least 20 cars that could win at any given weekend. If there were that many competitive cars back then, I would pretty much guarantee that Dale Sr. and Richard Petty would not have 7 championships.

Nope, that's not right.

2010 season 36 points races - 13 different drivers won
1975 season 30 points races - 8 different drivers (Petty had a good year with 10 wins but still had 7 other drivers with wins)

If you go out of the modern era the number of races goes way up and so does the number of winners.

1964 had 64 races and 18 different winners. Some of the races had very few cars that year and it was marked with tragedy.

Long story short not much has changed since about 1958. There was some very wild stats prior to the 58 season. There were many races that had more than 43 cars NOT finish the race. :23:

Con's Mach1 11-23-2010 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiler be (Post 1337035)
:worship:+1

212.809....after that all the cry babies have had control over NASCAR.

Yeah Awesome Bill will always have that record of the fastest speed, but I wonder if it was more the fact Bobby Allison almost ending up in the stands, that made NASCAR slow them down. I think either way Bobby would have wrecked the same, even if they had slowed them down. Look what happened to Carl Edwards; same thing. All of these happened at the same track too.

Blackpony04 11-23-2010 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Con's Mach1 (Post 1336872)
Very good post. I do notice also during races, when JJ has issues like other drivers have, his seem to come when they have time to fix them and not lose many points. He's okay. He just reminds me of a BLAND box of cereal. The outside may be interesting, but whats inside is BORING. Congrats Mr. Vanilla...YAWNNN, you won another Chammmpi......SNORE. I'm sorry did I just doze off? GOOOO Carl, I love the way you flip, and go RIGHT into the stands. Let's see a lot more of that next season, PLEASE?

My sentiments exactly. JJ + COT = the least interesting racing ever.

Some say the racing died with the restrictor plate but I say it really died with Earnhardt. I was not a #3 fan (I didn't "hate" him but as the lone Ford guy in my group of buddies I couldn't root for him either!) but I really think he'd be kicking Brian France's butt literally and figuratively for all the retarded changes they've made to the sport. I watched a total of 3 races this year--the two Daytonas and Homestead--which are the least # of races I've seen in probably 15 years. That COT has made the sport absolutely boring!

Con's Mach1 11-23-2010 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackpony04 (Post 1337185)
My sentiments exactly. JJ + COT = the least interesting racing ever.

Some say the racing died with the restrictor plate but I say it really died with Earnhardt. I was not a #3 fan (I didn't "hate" him but as the lone Ford guy in my group of buddies I couldn't root for him either!) but I really think he'd be kicking Brian France's butt literally and figuratively for all the retarded changes they've made to the sport. I watched a total of 3 races this year--the two Daytonas and Homestead--which are the least # of races I've seen in probably 15 years. That COT has made the sport absolutely boring!

COT really did NASCAR in, your right. Earnhardt, I sortta agree. He had more control for the drivers. Didn't like him either, but after a while I did respct him, in the late 90's.

birdman941 11-23-2010 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Con's Mach1 (Post 1337173)
Yeah Awesome Bill will always have that record of the fastest speed, but I wonder if it was more the fact Bobby Allison almost ending up in the stands, that made NASCAR slow them down. I think either way Bobby would have wrecked the same, even if they had slowed them down. Look what happened to Carl Edwards; same thing. All of these happened at the same track too.

Elliott and Bobby Allison were at Talladega,
I think Edwards was at Atlanta?
I kinda miss Davey and Kulwicki

Con's Mach1 11-23-2010 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdman941 (Post 1337248)
Elliott and Bobby Allison were at Talladega,
I think Edwards was at Atlanta?
I kinda miss Davey and Kulwicki

I didn't even want to think about that part of it. It hurts too much. I miss seeing Mighty Mouse on Kulwickis driver suit.

gvervoren 11-23-2010 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G (Post 1337058)
Nope, that's not right.

2010 season 36 points races - 13 different drivers won
1975 season 30 points races - 8 different drivers (Petty had a good year with 10 wins but still had 7 other drivers with wins)

If you go out of the modern era the number of races goes way up and so does the number of winners.

1964 had 64 races and 18 different winners. Some of the races had very few cars that year and it was marked with tragedy.

Long story short not much has changed since about 1958. There was some very wild stats prior to the 58 season. There were many races that had more than 43 cars NOT finish the race. :23:

You are going by the amount of races and the amount of teams that DID win. OK there were 8 winners that year and probably those were the only 8 teams that even had a chance to win a race. The other cars were basically fill ins just to get a bigger field of cars. 2010 had 13 winners but there at least 20 - 25 teams (if not more)that were competitve enough to win a race compared to the 8 teams back then which makes it harder to win a race nowdays. So you take 20 -25 competitive teams compared to 8 competitive teams, how is that the same? Basically, back then, whoever had the most money couild win a race when nowdays a lower budget team can win just as much as an elite team like Hendricks and Rousch.

There was a big article about this somewhere on the web a few years back. I'll have to try to find it again. It showed comparisons from then and now and how much harder it is nowdays to be successful in NASCAR.

blown03Mach1 11-23-2010 08:46 PM

Curious what is the furthest back someone was at the beggining of the chase and ended up winning the chase?

If my mind has not completely left me, the winner of the chase has never started the chase out of the top 5.

bris09 11-24-2010 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gvervoren (Post 1337302)
You are going by the amount of races and the amount of teams that DID win. OK there were 8 winners that year and probably those were the only 8 teams that even had a chance to win a race. The other cars were basically fill ins just to get a bigger field of cars. 2010 had 13 winners but there at least 20 - 25 teams (if not more)that were competitve enough to win a race compared to the 8 teams back then which makes it harder to win a race nowdays. So you take 20 -25 competitive teams compared to 8 competitive teams, how is that the same? Basically, back then, whoever had the most money couild win a race when nowdays a lower budget team can win just as much as an elite team like Hendricks and Rousch.

There was a big article about this somewhere on the web a few years back. I'll have to try to find it again. It showed comparisons from then and now and how much harder it is nowdays to be successful in NASCAR.

I'll agree with part of what you are saying. There were propably only 8 teams that had a chance to win every week back then. The difference is that only equalled 8 cars. Today you have 15-20 cars that could win every week but they belong to less than a handful of teams. While the names on the cars may differ they all belong to Roush, Hendrick, Childress, Penske, or Gibbs. Everyone else just fills the feild and occassionally gets a win and no I didn't forget about Stewart-Haus, Waltrip, or Petty. To me they are teams that just happen to get a win, not a team that you expect to win every week.

G 11-24-2010 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bris09 (Post 1337415)
I'll agree with part of what you are saying. There were propably only 8 teams that had a chance to win every week back then. The difference is that only equalled 8 cars. Today you have 15-20 cars that could win every week but they belong to less than a handful of teams. While the names on the cars may differ they all belong to Roush, Hendrick, Childress, Penske, or Gibbs. Everyone else just fills the feild and occassionally gets a win and no I didn't forget about Stewart-Haus, Waltrip, or Petty. To me they are teams that just happen to get a win, not a team that you expect to win every week.

It was not that way back in the 60s and 70s. There were really about the same percentage of so called "filler" cars. It was not possible to make a living as a filler car back then and the use of "ringer" drivers is not talked about that much but it was a very common practice. Bounties were also a promoter tool that worked well. You just plain can't compare that era with today. Back then guys were changing engines DURING the race and developing professional pit crews. It was a time that set a standard for today that has been screwed up by the Chase, COT, and growth that was too rapid. The core and founding fans and teams have been nearly forgotten.

To say that current era drivers like JJ are somehow better than lets say Joe Weatherly is total BS. Weatherly won a championship while driving part time for several different teams in the same year. He also came from motorcycle racing, he was AMA #1 and an extraordinary rider. Had he not died while champion I think he would have been much more prominent in the record books.

While I agree with many of the points about how tough it is to win a race today, the drivers are no longer "bigger than life". Little Joe, Jr Johnson, the Petty clan, and so many others had character; today when have only a few. We will never see guys like the Flock brothers (and sister) on the race track again and that's our lose.

Big Ron 11-24-2010 05:46 PM

Only 87 more days till the 2011 Daytona 500 (2/20/2011) and......the drive for six!

Big Ron :claus:

japan4racing 11-24-2010 05:55 PM

well I guess we can all start making predictions for next year...

I am really hoping its a dominating year for ford...namely Carl Edwards! David Ragan was really starting to get better hopefully he can start the year with a win as well. As much as I dont wanna see JJ win another one (I dont hate him or dislike him just want to see other talent win) Its a very real possibility.

G 11-24-2010 07:48 PM

I think some rule changes could really shake things up next year. Perhaps

No team rules
No pit crew swaps
No top 35 lock in BS
No freaking chase
Ditch the owner championships in all divisions
Limit teams to 2 cars MAX and give special perks to single car operators
Have at least 2 races on dirt each season

If the chase must stay use different tracks, but I really hate the chase format.

birdman941 11-24-2010 08:05 PM

Ban any brand that is not American.

japan4racing 11-24-2010 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G (Post 1337594)

No team rules
No pit crew swaps
No top 35 lock in BS
No freaking chase

If the chase must stay use different tracks, but I really hate the chase format.

If they would listen to you nascar would be interesting again

bris09 11-24-2010 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdman941 (Post 1337600)
Ban any brand that is not American.

So Ford and Chevy huh?

japan4racing 11-24-2010 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bris09 (Post 1337624)
So Ford and Chevy huh?

Its 2006 data published in 2007. Its the fastest thing I could find. Good info though. I was surprised at how many American made vehicles are still made here. I have been under the impression for years that if you wanted an American made vehicle you needed to buy a Toyota or Nissan. Its quite the opposite in most cases. Im sure some of these numbers have changed but Im also sure none of them have changed drastically enough to say that you need to buy an import to get and American made vehicle. Im gonna look more into this. Hey, at least we know our machs were made in America!

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...nt-chart_N.htm

bris09 11-24-2010 10:31 PM

Ford and GM are the only American car companies. Chrysler is owned by Fiat. I guess they could run Mercury, Lincoln, Buick, or Cadillac.

Larry Warcup 11-24-2010 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G (Post 1337594)

No team rules
No pit crew swaps
No top 35 lock in BS
No freaking chase

I totally agree! Especially, NO TOP 35 LOCK IN...what a bunch of crap!
If you're fast enough for the 'show', you're in! The slowest cars go home!

And I think that the last race of the year should be at a road course
...pick one...Watkins Glen, Laguna Seca...whatever!

And no more Sprint Cup guys racin' in the Nationwide Series
...leave that series to the guys & gals that want to learn & move up...Trucks, okay

japan4racing 11-24-2010 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bris09 (Post 1337632)
Ford and GM are the only American car companies. Chrysler is owned by Fiat. I guess they could run Mercury, Lincoln, Buick, or Cadillac.

well technically gm is owned by china...they loaned us the money to bail them out:23:

bris09 11-24-2010 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by japan4racing (Post 1337634)
well technically gm is owned by china...they loaned us the money to bail them out:23:

Nah, that was a loan.

japan4racing 11-24-2010 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bris09 (Post 1337635)
Nah, that was a loan.

yea, the govt loaned them the money. where do you think the govt got the money?

falcongtho3 11-25-2010 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Ron (Post 1337551)
Only 87 more days till the 2011 Daytona 500 (2/20/2011) and......the slum for six!

Fixed...

:borg: