2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Power Adders (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Eaton Swap..... (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=71833)

Scott McClure 01-17-2011 04:39 PM

Re: Eaton Swap.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudd92 (Post 1354346)
I think about 3 at this point. They go for a while and just crap out at random.

Then something's not right. Are you buying new Ford alternators or rebuilds? Stock lower? Are they getting wet? Even with a stock lower the alternators tend to get overspun.

Mudd92 01-17-2011 04:46 PM

Stock lower, they are coming from ford but there all remans, even when I ask for new. I put a 3.2 pulley on this one I put on sunday, drove it all day, did great, at WOT above 5k i was for the first timing keeping over 13.5V. but I got in it and fired it up last night to go home from a buddies and it was spiking 16v. I ran every acc. on high and could be easy on the rpm's and keep it below 15 barely. Boiled the battery over some but i made it home without frying anything as far as i could tell.

Im going to double check I got the power wire good n tight but I got another one under warranty. The one that died before this lasted about 6 months.

I dont see what could be going wrong??? I dont think there getting wet, maybe a little moist in the rain but i dont hose it down or anything

Mudd92 01-17-2011 04:51 PM

I would GLADLY take any advice someone could offer if theres just something im not seeing? Because this sucks.

nickster 01-17-2011 04:54 PM

turning mine in reverse,3.2 pully ,still working and i turn it up alot/hope it stays working

Mudd92 01-17-2011 05:02 PM

not trying to change the subject because the alt is more important for me!!! But how do you guys mount the shaker to the hood?

nickster 01-17-2011 05:10 PM

cant help you there, mine is mounted on the engine and still have the liner under the hood

Reloaded 01-17-2011 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LowOnFuel (Post 1347742)
So I've seen some posts saying the Cobra throttle body is needed and others saying it's not. Can someone clarify? Are they different? Is there a specific one we need to use? Is there an advantage to one over the other?

Thanks

I ran the LFP dual pass H/E with the stock Mach bumper. It just pushed down on the bumper itself about 1/2". It was quite easy to get in there, and without cutting anything fit well enough.

Reloaded 01-17-2011 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudd92 (Post 1354377)
not trying to change the subject because the alt is more important for me!!! But how do you guys mount the shaker to the hood?

With some home-made metal brackets that Machgsxr came up with.

I probably have some pics on my photobucket, but they block it at work. If I remember, I'll post 'em up when I get home this evening.

Mudd92 01-17-2011 08:02 PM

Alright thanks

xXAzureMach1Xx 01-17-2011 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudd92 (Post 1354372)
I would GLADLY take any advice someone could offer if theres just something im not seeing? Because this sucks.

Im on number 5 or 6 on the ALT. All have been OEM but are rebuilt. I was told you cant buy new ones because the cores are alot easier to get now. This came from ford. Im on the same one for the past 4 months and it has a 3.4 pulley and i added a ground strap from the batt to the alt bracket. I have also figured out thats its the heat that has been killin mine. winter time i have 13 volts but in the summer its right at 12.

Mudd92 01-18-2011 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXAzureMach1Xx (Post 1354459)
Im on number 5 or 6 on the ALT. All have been OEM but are rebuilt. I was told you cant buy new ones because the cores are alot easier to get now. This came from ford. Im on the same one for the past 4 months and it has a 3.4 pulley and i added a ground strap from the batt to the alt bracket. I have also figured out thats its the heat that has been killin mine. winter time i have 13 volts but in the summer its right at 12.

About the same here. :(

Reloaded 01-18-2011 11:36 AM

Well turns out I don't have any pics of the brackets on my photobucket like I thought, and it was dark by the time I got home last night. I'll try and snap some pics of the brackets tonight after work.

BTW, I'm running a Motorcraft reman'd alt, and so far it's been fine for the last year and a half I've had it *knock on wood*. I'm running a 2.76 upper, and the stock size alt pulley. Soon to be running a 2lb lower.

DarkMach1 01-18-2011 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudd92 (Post 1354346)
I think about 3 at this point. They go for a while and just crap out at random.

Wow! Sorry to hear that man, I guess Im gonna start keeping an eye on mine more closely, Im still on the used one I got with the swap for almost a year now. I drive mostly on the highway so that might also help, Im sure it gets plenty of cooling.

BTW, I have a pic on my photobucket of the bracket, Ill post it when I get home.

Mudd92 01-18-2011 05:02 PM

Nice!! Thanks to the both of ya!

Oh and if its the ones on your swap thread, thats what I did but im trying to mount it on the hood so that when I lift the hood the S/C is in view and not the shaker.

Reloaded 01-18-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudd92 (Post 1354732)

Oh and if its the ones on your swap thread, thats what I did but im trying to mount it on the hood so that when I lift the hood the S/C is in view and not the shaker.

Ah, well if that's what you're looking to do, then my pics won't help you much; my shaker is bolted to the Eaton.

machgsxr 01-18-2011 05:07 PM

Quote:

What you need to is just get some little aluminum/metal straps and screw them to the topside of the shaker where it would normally bolt onto the lower shaker and then onto the hood through the black rubber that fills up the rest of the gap that the top part of the shaker does not cover. Just make sure you catch a brace and not through the hood itself.

machgsxr 01-18-2011 05:11 PM

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/...ad.php?t=83579

DarkMach1 01-18-2011 06:50 PM

Quote:

Oh ok, I have mine bolted to the blower. I can't complain, out of like 10-12 people that walked by my car at the track with the hood open, only one was smart enough to bend over and look under the shaker, then he said, "Ohhh, sneaky!!", the rest were like, "Nice, whats done to it?(while staring at the motor)" LMAO!!!

Reloaded 01-18-2011 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkMach1 (Post 1354763)
Oh ok, I have mine bolted to the blower. I can't complain, out of like 10-12 people that walked by my car at the track with the hood open, only one was smart enough to bend over and look under the shaker, then he said, "Ohhh, sneaky!!", the rest were like, "Nice, whats done to it?(while staring at the motor)" LMAO!!!

That's why I like it done this way as well. :D

Mudd92 01-18-2011 08:13 PM

Well I like it to hah but its like everytime I take it off to do some piddling around I just say "**** i wish i saw this every time I opend the hood!" so i dunno :23:

xXAzureMach1Xx 01-18-2011 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reloaded (Post 1354786)
That's why I like it done this way as well. :D

Me to. Had a guy come up to me with the hood open and ask if it was stock :smack:

Mudd92 01-20-2011 09:34 AM

This is going to be a dumb question, and im not even sure if its possible. but, could i swap the regulator from my old stock mach alt, into the cobra alt??

centex 02-03-2011 11:24 PM

Kind of a newbie question, but can you the stock mach fuel pump with a kenne bell boost a pump? I seen this question asked before, but never any clear answers....

Mudd92 02-04-2011 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by centex (Post 1360006)
Kind of a newbie question, but can you the stock mach fuel pump with a kenne bell boost a pump? I seen this question asked before, but never any clear answers....

No.

DarkMach1 02-05-2011 09:47 AM

I just wanted to ask a quick question which I figured didn't require a new thread. Is it a good idea to get used cobra rods? Has any of you had a bad experience from purchasing used rods?