2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Q&A. HOW TO's, TSB's & Warranty Items (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Removing The Fan & Fuel Pump Fuse When Using a Hand held Tuner (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40371)

Phil 09-23-2005 06:59 PM

Removing The Fan & Fuel Pump Fuse When Using a Hand held Tuner

4 Attachment(s)
Just some info when using a hand held tuner like the SCT Xcalibrater. I would imagine other tuners do the same but, not sure! When downloading, uploading, this tuner will cause your cooling fan and electric fuel pump to activate during the entire process while your ignition switch is on. If you are making user option changes to the tune, then it will take longer for this operation while the fan & fuel pump run. You don't want to drain your battery down at the track especially, if you run a smaller amperage light weight battery.

The cooling fan fuse is a large red 50 amp fuse and the fuel pump is a small yellow 20 amp fuse. Both fuses are located in the engine compartment fuse box, drivers side. This type of info is listed in your owners manual for each fuse and what it's for. There are 2 fuse box locations, engine compartment and under the drivers side dash.

Here are a few pics:

IZZY 09-24-2005 12:35 AM

Re: Removing The Fan & Fuel Pump Fuse When Using a Hand held Tuner

As always, thanks for the info Phil/Fill. :ORANGE:

Phil 09-24-2005 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IZZY
As always, thanks for the info Phil/Fill. :ORANGE:

Your welcome Izzy!

Captain Obvious 02-05-2006 03:17 PM

Phil, I was just about to head outside and load up one of my Steeda XCal2 tunes, and I jumped online to see if I could find some information as to the location of the fuel pump and electric fan fuses.

Needless to say, I was thrilled to find your post. Thanks a lot for taking the time to take those pictures and post them.

:yeh:

RedRocket 05-30-2009 06:11 PM

Great info thanks.

I don't have an owners manual so I didn't know which fuses to pull. I had to call SCT and ask if I could leave the fuses in place.

They said it was no problem to leave them in place but some people remove the fuses due to some drain on the battery. I left my fuses in and had no problem at all.

nickster 05-30-2009 07:20 PM

you can destroy an ecm with a week bat. i just hook up the jumpers and leave them in

jayslx1 01-01-2011 08:02 PM

Has anyone experienced this problem when loading a tune? I just bought a tuner from American Muscle, its supposed to be here Tuesday. What kind of time frame to save the factory tune and load a custom tune?

311-420 01-02-2011 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayslx1 (Post 1348503)
Has anyone experienced this problem when loading a tune? I just bought a tuner from American Muscle, its supposed to be here Tuesday. What kind of time frame to save the factory tune and load a custom tune?

Flashing the comp takes less than 5 min total. The fan and pump don't run the whole time either. They go on and off a couple times throughout the process. Iv never had an issue with it draining/ruining my battery or comp. But if it makes you feel better, by all means pull the fuses.

Phil 02-12-2011 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 311-420 (Post 1348699)
Flashing the comp takes less than 5 min total. The fan and pump don't run the whole time either. They go on and off a couple times throughout the process. Iv never had an issue with it draining/ruining my battery or comp. But if it makes you feel better, by all means pull the fuses.

The SCT tuners back when I made this thread did in fact, keep the cooling fan on the entire time. Like I stated in my post, for those at the track using a smaller battery. I never stated there was an issue.

311-420 02-12-2011 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 1362881)
The SCT tuners back when I made this thread did in fact, keep the cooling fan on the entire time. Like I stated in my post, for those at the track using a smaller battery. I never stated there was an issue.

That's interesting. Heck, back then I was still using a friggin chip! Lol!