2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels & Tires (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   AFS Wheel clear coat issue.. (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110925)

Starsky 02-08-2011 11:00 AM

AFS Wheel clear coat issue..

One of my rear AFS rear wheels is peeling.. looks like crap the other is fine. Also curbed my front stock wheel in the ice last week and need a replacement stock front wheel if anyone has one for cheap

mach1joey 02-17-2011 08:19 PM

Re: AFS Wheel clear coat issue..

I have AFS black bullitts on my car and have the same problem with the clearcoat peeling. I contacted them quite a while ago after about 1 year after purchase and they did give me a new wheel because of the peeling. Another 3 months later 2 more wheels developed the same problem and now they don't have any more wheels in house. They ripped a lot of people off in my opionon.:butt: Their product was not made well at all and left us high and dry after the 1 year warranty. I could have bought a much cheaper knock off and had better results. I am taking my rims off next month and selling them off to someone who wants to clearcoat them. The Godspeed wheels look awesome, maybe I will go that route.

DarkMach1 02-23-2011 07:52 PM

I had the same issue on my bullits, they gave me the run around that I was using high pressure water to clean my wheels, I had mine for a little over a year when I contacted them. You figure you'd get a better product when you spend so much money or at least better service. I had one of the fronts repainted because it was the worst one, Im gonna do the 2 years when I get some time off and then lastly the other front.

4a7191a 02-23-2011 08:20 PM

find a local used wheel shop and ask where to get them redone.i had mine redone for 4 years now and no peeling and the clearcoat is super thick since the refinish.

Starsky 03-07-2011 10:20 AM

Met up with un gm on Sunday and bought a used stock Mach 1 wheel from him. Nice guy, has a sweet Grey Mach 1 with a procharger on it.

jw last 03-12-2011 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starsky (Post 1361243)
One of my rear AFS rear wheels is peeling.. looks like crap the other is fine..........

Guess I've been lucky with my AFS wheels, no peeling on any (got 'em front and rear). Now that I've said that I'm sure they'll start to peel.............:12:

mach 2 03-12-2011 08:03 PM

I have had my AFS wheels for 5 years, and only about a 1" area of peeling. I used clear to touch it up, and no more issues. They look great still, and for the price, I am more than happy. (4- 18x9 Mac Blacks with 275-35, Virdestien tires, $700 + shipping new from AFS)
Jeff

bleedingfordblu 03-21-2011 06:57 PM

Anyone know how much they usually are to reclear

Starsky 03-23-2011 04:39 PM

I used a can of Aircraft Stripper I bought at Auto zone upon recommendation from a friend who refinishes and repairs wheels. It took the remaining clear coat off to where the wheel looked good. Not sure of the long term issues with a wheel that isn't clear coated but honestly the sunburn peeling look it had was worse than anything that could evolve