2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles) (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   1st gear???? (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=78856)

03mach 1 04-14-2008 02:34 PM

1st gear????

My first gear has been hard do down shift to and reveres is having trouble getting it to no grinding just feels like something stopping it from sliding in any idea y its doing this?

FloridaOrange 04-14-2008 02:40 PM

Re: 1st gear????

Downshift to first??
For reverse have you tried sliding it into second first?

03mach 1 04-14-2008 04:32 PM

ya?

and no i have not

FloridaOrange 04-14-2008 05:12 PM

Can't help you with first, try the second gear/reverse thing though.

nasty04mach1 04-14-2008 05:28 PM

You shouldnt go into 1st until you are about to come to a compete stop IMO. Mine sometimes has trouble in reverse. What I do is put in it either 4th then try putting it in reverse.

03Mach421 04-15-2008 03:26 AM

for the reverse part just put it in neutral and release the clutch, put the clutch back in and it should go smoothly. i dunno why but this seems to work for me. And for first gear you shouldnt really be downshifting into it unless you are almost not even moving

juicyj 04-15-2008 06:40 AM

yeah i grinded first a couple times till i relized that maybe there's a reason that i shouldn't be doing it so now i just roll up in second, but i've only been driving a stick for, well lets see, got the car saturday and today is tuesday so thats 4 days.:)

oldyellar 04-15-2008 06:30 PM

why down shift?? just coast it to a stop and use your brakes to slow down.. you can match your rpms but IMO brake pads are cheaper then the wear and tear on your drive train from downshifting..

Azure Blurr 04-15-2008 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldyellar (Post 981399)
why down shift?? just coast it to a stop and use your brakes to slow down.. you can match your rpms but IMO brake pads are cheaper then the wear and tear on your drive train from downshifting..

Down shifting does not "wear and tear" on the drivetrain unless you are an idiot about doing it. I've driven sticks my entire driving career(24 years) and have downshifted the whole time. Never once had an issue. Complete wifes tail about down shifting.

JJPMach1 04-15-2008 09:20 PM

1st gear and reverse are not synchronized.

When I'm sitting at a red light in neutral, I put the car in 2nd first before going into 1st. It makes it a lot easier getting it into gear,.

oldyellar 04-17-2008 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure Blurr (Post 981403)
Down shifting does not "wear and tear" on the drivetrain unless you are an idiot about doing it. I've driven sticks my entire driving career(24 years) and have downshifted the whole time. Never once had an issue. Complete wifes tail about down shifting.

let me correct myself
ive always down shifted as well.. but i always match my rpms.. but if done incorrectly.. it can and will cause wear and tear.. like ive seen a hard down shift seperate a clutch friction surface from the hub.. and a brake pads are cheaper then a clutch. from what i hear while driving most people do not downshift correctly

Lord Umoja 04-17-2008 05:41 PM

Here is what I do and learned from racing, driving, and reading the owner's manual:

Downshifting Into 1st Gear:
1st gear is designed to be used UNDER 10mph. If you read the owner's manual for the optimum shift points for fuel mileage you will see it roccomends shifting from 1st to 2nd close to 10mph. This means that when driving on the street DO NOT attempt to downshift into 1st gear until you are UNDER 10mph. In street driving, its kind of useless to be in 1st gear when slowing down.

Reverse Lockout:
If you find that you cannot get into reverse gear, push in the clutch and shift back and forth with the clutch in from 1st to 2nd atleast 3 times. If this does not fix the issue, put the shifter in neutral, and release the clutch, wait a moment, push in the clutch, wait till everything stops spinning and try to shift into reverse. If you do not wait after pushing in the clutch you will grind gears as reverse is not synchronized.

I hope this helps.

Mach1BullittMan 04-20-2008 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJPMach1 (Post 981476)
1st gear and reverse are not synchronized.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Umoja (Post 982278)
If you do not wait after pushing in the clutch you will grind gears as reverse is not synchronized.

Thats not what the Tremec web site says about our tranny's and they should know after all they are the people who designed and built the TR 3650!

The following is from Tremec's web site.

"TR-3650 Product Specifications

This five-speed overdrive transmission was developed using state-of-the-art technology and is designed for a wide range of cars and compact utility vehicles. Currently, the TREMEC TR-3650 is being used on the Ford Mustang GT and the BA Falcon.

Features:

Center Distance - 85 mm
Five-speed transmission with overdrive
Two-wheel drive
Advanced synchronizer design
Optimized multi-rail shift linkage
Improved shifter design
Constant mesh, synchronized reverse
End-load design with integral clutch housing."

Lord Umoja 04-20-2008 10:08 PM

I stand corrected. I thought it was un synched since it will grind rather harshly unless everything was stopped inside the transmission.

mach1nm 04-20-2008 10:17 PM

mine is hard to get in reverse also, is it that common on are cars?

mach1 03 04-20-2008 11:28 PM

I never downshift below second there is just no need to, and i also have problems getting it into reveres sometimes i normally have to putting 4th 2 times the in reverse when it is being stubborn and not wanting to go in.