2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels & Tires (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   AFS Wheels (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=136813)

Metalmover 05-17-2019 01:18 AM

AFS Wheels

I am pretty new here so I might be heading down a road you have all headed down in the past; however with a twist this time...

AFS Wheels...WTF???...anyone know the guy?..looks like the parts were done overseas?...does anyone know about suppliers?

I would like to get the AFS 17"x 10.5" Rears (Item #:2-23MS) seems to be popular in this community...I understand they are hard to get ahold of....

HERE'S THE TWIST I WAS TALKING ABOUT...

I own a large machine shop...and currently I want something that I could make if needed. There's the long way and short way to do things so some info from community would be helpful.

I am wondering...do any of you already have any CAD files avail? (I can draw as well...just seeing if I can save some time)

Anything you can add about this AFS wheels even outside processing if you know. I do a lot of crazy complicated things...these wheels would be something I would either draw or get files for and throw to my employees. I wouldn't mind doing a limited run if needed....anything you guys could add would be cool...thanks.

DSG2003Mach1 05-17-2019 11:53 AM

Re: AFS Wheels

id have to imagine that after so long out there would be little to no protection to prevent you from knocking them off. I would find it to be a pretty big stretch to imagine someone here has drawings. I would bet you could find someone that would come through and let you get measurements.

sounds like this would be a billet wheel from you and while cool probably far more expensive than the Chinese castings we're used to buying.

ab_mach1 05-17-2019 12:40 PM

AFS is somewhere in CA, but I don't know if they actually manufacture the wheels or have them made somewhere else (like China, as you mentioned). I know they've always made them in chunks over the years. I bought a set of 4 17x9 back in 2013. I believe they were sold out of the 17x10.5's shortly after that. They didn't have any in stock again until 2015. I bought a set of matching 17x10.5's for the rear. They also sold 18x10 and 18x10.5 back then, which I believe was something new. Anyway, they ran out of stock pretty quick and haven't restocked since. I've emailed them a couple of times and didn't get a response, but they did respond to emails prior to 2015. I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm sure they would sell a ton of them. Even better, if someone took over making Mach 1 reps and start selling them again. I want to pickup a set of 18x9's for the front and 18x10's (or 10.5's) for the rear. 17" wheels don't have as many tire options as 18's do.

Metalmover 05-17-2019 01:16 PM

I am located about 45 minutes from them (AFS) if there wasn't any traffic. I might take a drive down there and see what is up...I've called with no answer; however, it looks like the building is still owned by the same company. I bet he has the drawings I want :) ...and I don't mind paying too (not being cheap by any means it costs tons to make this stuff from scratch but I will if I have to)

In some way I was thinking there might be a high quality blank of sorts...that I only had to 3d machine in center...wondering if that is what they did...possibly I can find a USA manufacturer and have them provide a forged wheel that has the room to turn into the Mach1 style.

I don't mind doing the entire thing from scractch...but the billet will cost $$$...but it would be a cool little side thing to do...(Im paying for the labor in the employees anyways...and generally I do the programming)

When I was younger, I would want to do everything (drawing) etc...these days Im not looking for credit as much as something that I want.

01TruBluGT 05-17-2019 02:59 PM

Wonder if it would be possible to send an OEM wheel off and have them widened and re-finished.

311-420 05-17-2019 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01TruBluGT (Post 1634172)
Wonder if it would be possible to send an OEM wheel off and have them widened and re-finished.

I was quoted $250+ for each wheel to have that done and it didn't include refinishing or the shipping cost $$

Metalmover 05-17-2019 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 311-420 (Post 1634173)
I was quoted $250+ for each wheel to have that done and it didn't include refinishing or the shipping cost $$

interesting...Ill take the time and head down to AFS shop on Monday...I was going that way to see some machinery as well anyways.

CajunMach1 05-23-2019 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metalmover (Post 1634174)
interesting...Ill take the time and head down to AFS shop on Monday...I was going that way to see some machinery as well anyways.

FWIW, looks like AFS gets these wider wheels made every so often, when the boat ships them over, every so many years or so, I got in on the last batch, no issues. AFAIK, A lot of wheels are made overseas now unless you do forged and that run up to big bucks, IMHO

USMCWeatherMan 05-23-2019 07:56 PM

I've been itching to get my hands on some 17x10.5's for years now...

hotford 05-24-2019 12:44 AM

I just recently purchased a set of 18x9 all around...was thinking of sending them out for widening......

wish they would re pop them again..wanting the 18x10.5

BONESTOCK 05-24-2019 08:48 AM

Oh!! Would be nice to see a newer better version of the AFS deep dish wheels! I have a pair of the 17 x 10.5" in my basement! I'm going to put them on my Gen 1 Lightning! I run RTS Weld's on my Mach.

LXS 06-12-2019 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotford (Post 1634211)
i just recently purchased a set of 18x9 all around...was thinking of sending them out for widening......

Wish they would re pop them again..wanting the 18x10.5

Yes please!!!!!

jbrad88 06-12-2019 11:35 PM

The vast majority of the wheels, including the oem's are made overseas.

The mold for those wheels is likely owned by AFS or the factory that they use. If the factory owns the mold they will dictate when and if they produce the wheel.

All i can say is be patient. I am sure they will produce once again.

Think about it this way. LMR just brought back the 10-hole phone-dial wheel for the fox...

Anything is possible..

TerrySuave 06-20-2019 04:03 PM

If you ever get those made in 18x9 or 10.5 I would definitely be interested in a set.

NC Mach 1 06-24-2019 04:02 PM

I just took these off of my '03 since everyone is more interested in it stock. 18's x 9 Nitto 555's

I have them listed on ebay and FB Marketplace.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...8d5d97c7_b.jpg

TuFFstang 06-30-2019 10:52 PM

With the IRS on the Mach and wanting a more road worthy handling feel, I’m wanting a set of 17”x9” al the way around.

Recon 07-01-2019 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TuFFstang (Post 1634488)
With the IRS on the Mach and wanting a more road worthy handling feel, I’m wanting a set of 17”x9” al the way around.

That’s basically what I’m aiming for until I work up the nerve to put out the coin for ccw’s.

Pick your poison.