2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Electrical System (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   projector lights (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=120825)

kw89SA 03-25-2012 01:58 AM

projector lights

so i keep reading mixed reviews with these projector headlights... i want to get some for visiblity purposes. im not trying to get the halo ones, but one with just the beam.

i found these
http://www.cjponyparts.com/headlight...-2004/p/HLK52/
and they have the exact same ones on Am for 199, and also the same style on ebay for about 135...

these so far are the best looking projectors ive found that arent custom made and that wont cost me 500+

i got my smoked crappy oe clear side marker replacement lights from ebay and my adjuster just sucks and points down, and i even have HID's in them and i still cant see very far.

so thinking of going with the projector route...

anyone have any input about them if you have them or had them... hows the light output if used with HID's and is the installion an easy plug and play...

pics would be great from the driver seat to show the light projection at night

thanks for any help in advanced.. and sorry for the long essay write up lol

46-062 03-25-2012 04:14 AM

Re: projector lights

Replacing stock lights with "projectors" using unknown bulbs is pointless. Unfortunately, nobody tells you what bulbs are used in their projector lights. Well, one on line store does.....I found a set of projector lights that uses a 9005 high beam bulb, but lost the link. I would only buy a set of projectors with a 9005 high beam bulb because you can replace a 9005 with a 9011 HIR. The 9011 HIR puts out 3,000 lumens as opposed to our stock 9007 at 1,350 lumens.

At this point, I'm going to order a set of Philips Xtreme Xenon +80 bulbs. They put out 2,100 lumens vsw. stock 1,350. (There are other, similarly named bulbs - make sure you get the name correct.)

Both the Philips Xtreme Xenon +80 9007 and the 9011HIR substitute for a 9005 are 100% legal and run at standard watts so your wiring won't fry.

Check out this link:

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/BulbsMain.aspx

These guys are Hella master distributors and the owner campaigns rally cars. They know lights

LXS 03-25-2012 04:39 AM

Bulb replacement, no matter what brand aren't gonna come close to HIDs. There's no use in paying $50 to $100 for a stock style replacement bulb.

As for the projectors, they're projector housings, but most people just call them projector lights. Anyways, I've heard mixed things about the housings. Some say they're great for HIDs because they straighten out and give you a "focused" beam of light, and not a scattered one like normal housings with HIDs in them. But on the flip side, I've heard some people say that the straight beam sucks because it only lights up what is directly in front of you, and not around you.

I myself have yet to ride in a car with projector housings, so I can't really comment on that, but I must say that I REALLY do like and enjoy my stock housings with HIDs! Absolutely LOVE how everything is lit up! :)

kw89SA 03-25-2012 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LXS (Post 1471559)
I myself have yet to ride in a car with projector housings, so I can't really comment on that, but I must say that I REALLY do like and enjoy my stock housings with HIDs! Absolutely LOVE how everything is lit up! :)

unfortunately my tinted stock style housing i got from ebay weren't as good as i hoped, they just point straight down, when trying to adjust, the adjuster just spins... so i can barely see maybe 10-15ft in front of me... and i have a 35w 6k HID kit in...

so i was just thinking about switching to those projectors with my hid kit and just switching the low beams to the HID's with the correct bulb size for the low light...

dsmdavid 03-25-2012 04:56 AM

I had the same issue with mine. I did the hid fog lights so I can gain a little more light output

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

kw89SA 03-25-2012 05:03 AM

i have silverstar bulbs in my fogs and i could see a little bit when i had stock headlights and bulbs, but now that i have hids in the headlights i cant really tell a difference when my fogs on or off... plus i think i needa clean out my fog lenses they both have condensation since i didnt think to seal both of them

46-062 03-25-2012 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LXS (Post 1471559)
Bulb replacement, no matter what brand aren't gonna come close to HIDs. There's no use in paying $50 to $100 for a stock style replacement bulb.

As for the projectors, they're projector housings, but most people just call them projector lights. Anyways, I've heard mixed things about the housings. Some say they're great for HIDs because they straighten out and give you a "focused" beam of light, and not a scattered one like normal housings with HIDs in them. But on the flip side, I've heard some people say that the straight beam sucks because it only lights up what is directly in front of you, and not around you.

HID "kits" are pure crap. No real lighting improvement, but illegal and 100% ghetto. The two bulb choices I mentioned put out considerably more light than a stock 9007 bulb. Unless you've driven a Mustang with Philips Xtreme Xenon +80 bulbs or a car with 9011 HIR like a Viper (I have), you don't know what you're writing about.

The numbers don't lie:

Stock 9007 = 1,350 lumens
Philips Xtreme Xenon +80 = 2,100 lumens
Philips 9011 HIR in place of stock 9005 = 3,000 lumens

Additionally, the 9007 +80 puts the filament in exactly the correct location and orientation for optimum focus in a headlight designed for a 9007 bulb. the same goes for a 9011HIR in a 9005 housing.

I provided a link to a Hella master distributor who campaigns his own rally cars (at night). If you want to learn somethng, pick up the phone.

LXS 03-25-2012 05:40 AM

Wow, someone sound like a nutswinger! You do what YOU like to your car and spend all the money you want on stock replacement bulbs. I love my HID "kit" and have yet to find anyone with regular stock style replacement bulbs that are brighter then HIDs.

LXS 03-25-2012 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kw89SA (Post 1471560)
unfortunately my tinted stock style housing i got from ebay weren't as good as i hoped, they just point straight down, when trying to adjust, the adjuster just spins... so i can barely see maybe 10-15ft in front of me... and i have a 35w 6k HID kit in...

so i was just thinking about switching to those projectors with my hid kit and just switching the low beams to the HID's with the correct bulb size for the low light...

Do you have your original stock headlight housings?

I've got HID fogs to! With just my fogs on, they're almost as bright as those $70 Silver star headlight bulbs lol :D

kw89SA 03-25-2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LXS (Post 1471565)
Do you have your original stock headlight housings?

I've got HID fogs to! With just my fogs on, they're almost as bright as those $70 Silver star headlight bulbs lol :D

ya i still have the original headlights, but they are hazed and have so much condensation its ridiculous, the rubber seal at the top broke on both of them so they were terrible, that's why i replaced them with those stupid ebay tinted headlights...

dsmdavid 03-25-2012 11:33 AM

I wish I would have known how dark these **** lights are. What color hids do you have

http://img.tapatalk.com/4c651cd3-3a56-c6a2.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/4c651cd3-3a30-70fb.jpg

LXS 03-25-2012 01:11 PM

Mine are blue but aren't crazy blue lol They have just enough tint to tell that they're blue, but not obnoxiously blue. I can post up a few pics if you'd like :)

As for your eBay headlight housings, from what I've heard it's hit or miss with them. But, I do know that there are some guys on here who've bought them, sealed them up with silicon (to prevent water from entering), and sprayed them with some kind of gloss to retain the shine and are quite happy with their results! My housings are absolutely HORRID!! Thankfully they're not cracked and don't allow water/moisture in, but boy are they gazed up badly! I've been wanting to buy a set of clear corner ones, but I'm not financially able to right now...I'm a full time student and single father of two kids, so whatever monies that come in goes to them and bills! But one thing I have been wanting to do is sand down my housings then buff them out and spray some sealant on them to preserve the gloss. I just haven't had much free time to do it, too busy with school, studying (I'm actually sitting with my books in front of me right now getting my registry "fix" before hitting the books lol :D), and spending time with my kids :)

kw89SA 03-25-2012 05:41 PM

dsmdavid... ya i like the tint on it since my car is dsg it goes well imo, but the tint is prolly part of the problem with light output... i have 6k hid's so its inbetween the bright white and the start of the blue tint 8k...
im happy with the color, im not happy with the output...

lxs ya man ive heard a few people say they havent had any problems with their ebay lights and that they are quite happy with them... mine are sealed up pretty decent id say, no leaks or haze yet, but theyve only been on since november or so... if i could just adjust those **** lights higher up i wouldnt have that much of a problem...

ill see if i can get a clear pic at night with my lights on... and ill snap some shots of which lights i have.

LXS 03-25-2012 05:51 PM

Sounds good! :CHEERS:

46-062 03-25-2012 05:55 PM

Oh, I missed the point completely! You're supposed to replace clear OEM headlights with ultra cool tinted ghetto housings, then buy ghetto HIDs to try to throw as much light through the tint as the standard 9007s.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was completely in the dark!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

LXS 03-25-2012 05:58 PM

Only "clear" factory headlight housings were from '99-'01 IIRC, '02-'04 are tinted from the factory. Nice try tho! :CHEERS:

kw89SA 03-25-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 46-062 (Post 1471677)
Oh, I missed the point completely! You're supposed to replace clear OEM headlights with ultra cool tinted ghetto housings, then buy ghetto HIDs to try to throw as much light through the tint as the standard 9007s.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was completely in the dark!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

idk if your talking to me, but if you are, for 1 my oem headlights were no where near clear, and as i stated were hazed and had so much condesation it made my car look like crap and also had broken rubber seals. and as far as tinted headlights being ghetto? why is that? is that because you dont like that look? well thats your preference and well i like tinted headlights so i could care less if you think my tinted headlights are ghetto... and then since when are HID's ghetto? if i remember correctly bmw, mercedes, audi and high dollar cars have HID's right? so are those ghetto too? naa didnt think so...

LXS 03-25-2012 07:11 PM

Don't mind him, he's just your typical n00b asshat that swears up and down that his way is the "only" way lol

46-062 03-25-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kw89SA (Post 1471705)
i like tinted headlights so i could care less if you think my tinted headlights are ghetto... and then since when are HID's ghetto? if i remember correctly bmw, mercedes, audi and high dollar cars have HID's right? so are those ghetto too? naa didnt think so...

Let's see upmarket cars come equipped with fully engineered, developed and legal HIDs. That's why Mercedes headlights cost $1,000 each. Aftermarket HID kits are put together by ebay sellers and speed shop dummies and popular with 17 year old kids.

There is no such thing as a DOT compliant HID retrofit. Just home made crap "engineered" in somebody's backyard using a wide variety of components not designed to work together and certainly not designed for use in a Mustang's headlight. That is the very definition of GHETTO. (I have seen a bunch of HID kits in South Central L.A.)

Anything darker than the OEM headlight is just plain stupid if you intend to see what you're about to hit at night.

And. HID kits don't help you see better:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

LXS 03-25-2012 08:04 PM

Wow....such a waste of time and effort. Just stop and get over it already, you've derailed the OP's thread enough as it is. If you wanna give your opinion and advice, its all good, go right ahead. But if no one wants it, then stop trying to force it down everyone's throat then talk ***** when no one wants your input. Walk away dude, you'll be of way more help just by doing that! :CHEERS:

dsmdavid 03-25-2012 08:37 PM

Id love to see what his ride looks like

46-062 03-25-2012 08:49 PM

Here's my ghetto blaster. It has an SLP 1 exhaust, but not "SLP 1 race mufflers" like your Mach1. I did not know SLP made "race mufflers."

https://sites.google.com/site/mach12...attredirects=0

LXS 03-25-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 46-062 (Post 1471731)
Here's my ghetto blaster. It has an SLP 1 exhaust, but not "SLP 1 race mufflers" like your Mach1. I did not know SLP made "race mufflers."

https://sites.google.com/site/mach12...attredirects=0

That's a really nice looking blue you got there! How much did that custom white "?" run you?? :tongue: :CHEERS:

kw89SA 03-25-2012 09:11 PM

so other then what 46 said about changing bulbs...

does anyone else have any input on the projectors i posted.. or have any experiences with them... pics would be nice showing light output if you got em..

dsmdavid 03-25-2012 09:40 PM

I like the ghetto wheel spinners.