2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles) (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Started with a vibration (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=136466)

mikeracing 05-17-2018 08:27 PM

Started with a vibration

So started with a vibration that the car has always had since i have owned it. Never really bothered me since it was only 120+mph. This winter i decided to play with it. The pinion angle was off so changed upper bushings.

Didnt help, thought maybe the alumium drive shaft was off balance put the factory shaft on... nope.

Decided to check the rear end. Pulled the cover and ooohhhh **** the spider gears are broke. Tear down and cleaning only damage spider gears. Waiting on parts

My 2 worries were a bent shaft in the trans but dosent appear to be. Ordered a slip yoke bushing since that was what went in my lasy mustang with similar vibration. Just assumed it was something else.

All in all glad i found the broken gears just a pain in the *** on my back. I miss having a lift

BONESTOCK 05-18-2018 10:16 AM

Re: Started with a vibration

Dang! Pic of the gears?

ab_mach1 05-18-2018 12:17 PM

Dang, that's crazy! Were they just holding on enough to function, just vibration? Lol, yeah I'd miss a lift too. Unfortunately, I've never been able to work with one. Thought about renting space at our local 'do it yourself' garage, but they want too much money.

TKat13 05-18-2018 01:56 PM

This post has my attention, was the vibration on deceleration only or all the time above 120?

mikeracing 05-18-2018 04:26 PM

All time

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...psrpuo64ef.jpg

311-420 05-18-2018 06:15 PM

Right there with you. Just busted mine too. Sounds like rocks rolling around in the diff when turning at slow speeds. Built this rear not even 10k miles ago...no track time, no hard launches, nothing more than a nitto 555r. :24:

Time to find something better than a ford racing diff..

mikeracing 05-18-2018 06:27 PM

My issue is money was cheaper for parts than a new diff.

Replacement parts 300

Changing diff to some other type: gears, 31 spline axles, torsen 4:1. Shims = Way more.

If i was going to change the carrier i would want to do it all. I hate setting up gears so i would want to do everything. Right now the only thing that it really neads is seals, clutches and spider gears. Next time it comes apart it will be everything.

The rear has had 100's of burnouts, 200+ drag strip passes with full slicks and about 30 hours of open track time.

311-420 05-18-2018 07:11 PM

Zero burnouts, zero hard launches, never tracked, never seen slicks and at 450rwhp mine are toast. Those little gears don't hold much and not for very long either.

It already has Moser 31s in there, ford racing 3.73s and ford racing 31 spline diff. Probably going to go with the eaton truetrac diff and pray the axles and ring/pinion are still ok.

mikeracing 05-21-2018 08:46 PM

Newest update after 3 different spider gear kits none work..... the pins are the wrong size or the gears are the wrong size for my carrier.

I give up.... ordering a yukon axle & carrier kit in 31 spline. Ford racing 4.10 and ford racing ring and pinion install kit.

BONESTOCK 05-25-2018 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeracing (Post 1631172)
Newest update after 3 different spider gear kits none work..... the pins are the wrong size or the gears are the wrong size for my carrier.

I give up.... ordering a yukon axle & carrier kit in 31 spline. Ford racing 4.10 and ford racing ring and pinion install kit.

Dang! Sucks but good too!

mikeracing 05-26-2018 10:44 AM

You know you married the right woman when you tell her you need to put the new diff in the freezer and the bearings in the oven. And her answer was OK !!!!

Phil 05-26-2018 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeracing (Post 1631240)
You know you married the right woman when you tell her you need to put the new diff in the freezer and the bearings in the oven. And her answer was OK !!!!

Lol! That's a keeper!

I remember putting an old set of steel rods in the oven to stress relieve them and my wife at the time was pissed!

BONESTOCK 05-28-2018 10:07 PM

haha!! Just had just installed my twin disk and had the pilot bearing in my freezer for a night. She didn't mind one bit. So long as it was contained!

mikeracing 06-01-2018 06:33 PM

So set up the gears 30 + times bad pattern decided to change out pinion bearing and race and BAM right on the money 3 attempts. Was just like wTF the bearing and races were from the ford racing kit i was having to use .062 worth of shims to get it close. With the bearing in the kit. But .032 with national bearing and race

TKat13 06-01-2018 08:38 PM

I've done a set of gears... decided I hate doing gears... worked great but the second set I did, not so much so I took it to the pros. Maybe someday I will learn the tricks.

Glad it worked out for you!

mikeracing 06-01-2018 09:10 PM

This was my first set done in the car. And first set that wasnt a dana 80, ford 9 or tractor trailer rear end

mikeracing 06-02-2018 01:35 PM

Well one of those days. Decided to change the trans fluid. Left the fill plug loose to start and let it idle for a min. Plug fell out and so did 1 qt of fluid on the garage floor. Topped off took a test drive and everything is good to go.

TKat13 06-02-2018 05:40 PM

Not as bad as forgetting to tie up an oil feed line to turbo, oil feel line gets burned through and I dump all my oil on the street. You could see my path for months around the block. Destroyed my turbo and coated the entire underneath of the car in oil. that was a pain to clean up!

sutyak 06-04-2018 07:36 AM

Great to hear it's all buttoned up. Hopefully one day we cross paths. I can't remember the last time I saw a white Mach 1 out in the wild.

03Shadow Grey 08-01-2018 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeracing (Post 1631172)

**** mike I was excited till I read this,
I have the same issue with the spider gears . I found a guy selling a brand new carbon fiber clutch kit for 50$ and i"m thinking now the bearing and seal kit and spiders. No such luck finding the gears set , even the dealer wants to sell me the whole shebang for $480 28 spline.I have also read where the gt 8.8 set is too small some say its the same. I plan on calling a shop my friends use for there Jeep rebuilds and confirm to see what to do. Change it all they say but as you said that can get real expensive when all i need is spiders and refresh kit.

mikeracing 08-25-2018 08:56 PM

So kinda gave up for a while borrowed my fathers vibration analyzer. Found the issue its the pinion flange it self is out of balance. HOW I HAVE NO IDEA!! ITS within tolerance for runout preload is good on the pinion.

sutyak 08-27-2018 08:12 AM

That's wild. What is a vibration analyzer and how is it used?

mikeracing 08-27-2018 10:54 AM

Its a device that measures vibration. Hahahaha

They use a accelerometer to measure vibration and its calibrated for up on the sensor and tells the rpm of the vibration. And has a strobe light line to show the location.

Then add weight to smooth it out. The key is finding the worst location at a given rpm. In my case the worst vibration was at the pinion then it was a toss up where tonstart. I started at the driveshaft only slightly changed the measurement, then added weight to the yoke and made a jump. Checked run out and no change

https://www.ebay.com/p/Kent-Moore-J-...er-2/656720445

TKat13 08-27-2018 12:18 PM

Cool; but I want a video of how its done... you have my thinking what my vibration may be...

mikeracing 08-27-2018 12:29 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kj78G4wtXKE