2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Exhaust System (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Ever get tired of how loud your car is? (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=135666)

HamMach1 12-28-2016 08:27 AM

Ever get tired of how loud your car is?

Been daily driving Magnapacks with an o/r x-pipe for years now and I feel like I am in a sanctuary when I get into someone else's "normal" car that. I miss that.

Tempted to revert back to a catted setup and regular Magnaflows or something. I can only imagine that will be barely louder than stock, right?

Mach828 12-28-2016 08:56 AM

Re: Ever get tired of how loud your car is?

Exactly why I ditched my o/r x and stingers for regular magnaflows. Still really loud. You could swap them for Walker turbo mufflers, those are really quite and inexpensive. Ran them on my Vic.

mach1 03 12-28-2016 09:33 AM

I've been daily driving mine and it gets so annoying being so loud. I have hands free in my car but I have a hard time hearing someone when they call and I feel like I have to yell for them to hear me.
I'm trying to get cats welded on my prochamber to help quite it down and get rid of the smell. I'm going to leave the stingers on but that's only because I'm going to it another car for my daily driver and the Mach will strictly be a weekend car.

Never thought I would want it quieter when I got it 12 years ago lol

jv7 12-28-2016 10:40 AM

Yeah I used to have Borla Stingers sounded great but for a daily driver got annoying after awhile I got a chatted x pipe borlas with dumps now has a nice deep muscle car sound but not too louse and no drone.

311-420 12-28-2016 12:28 PM

Get real mufflers like magnaflows or something similar. packs and stingers are NOT mufflers, they're glass packs with a cute name.

HamMach1 12-28-2016 02:02 PM

I wonder if there's enough clearance to get some center in / center out Magnaflow mufflers welded in.

Lord knows my neighbors hate me. I live in an apartment complex and I'm one of the first to leave in the morning (sometimes 5:45am). Surely I wake up half the neighborhood and I feel terrible thinking so :23:

Thunderbolt 12-28-2016 03:57 PM

I will never change my catted Bassani with Magnapacks. It's exactly what my idea of a muscle car is suppose to sound like.

HamMach1 12-28-2016 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderbolt (Post 1623412)
I will never change my catted Bassani with Magnapacks. It's exactly what my idea of a muscle car is suppose to sound like.

The sound has been orgasmic for years. The first change that I would make is a catted x-pipe like I had in the beginning many many many many many years ago. I remember switching back and forth between the catted and o/r when it came time for inspection and it was hard to tell when I went from catted to offroad but when I went offroad to catted you can tell that cats really take the bite and the edge off, which might be all that I need.

NastyNate 12-28-2016 07:51 PM

I have the exact opposite problem when I have to put the stock midpipe back on for smog. Car sounds like a lil kitten. I cant stand it and cant get that stock pipe off fast enough. I have a catted bbk x pipe with flows

4a7191a 12-31-2016 08:03 AM

Bassani and vrx X pipe on Mac headers here. Love it. Car shakes from the cams and overall the bassani's are well baked in. It's pretty loud and sounds alot faster than she is.
Never will it be any quieter :)

BIGMACHDADDY 12-31-2016 12:52 PM

I have slp catted X-pipe with Flowmaster 10's and I never get tired of it. Though it is not my DD.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NastyNate (Post 1623414)
I have the exact opposite problem when I have to put the stock midpipe back on for smog. Car sounds like a lil kitten. I cant stand it and cant get that stock pipe off fast enough. I have a catted bbk x pipe with flows

I'm curious why you go back to stock H-pipe? I have had slp catted X-pipe on for over a decade on the mach with no issues for inspection.

Mustanger2 12-31-2016 08:24 PM

I love how loud my off road BBK H pipe is with my Magnapacks! I can talk just fine cruising at freeway speed or around town until I tip into the throttle just a little...my passenger soon learns to stop talking & wait til I upshift or back off...

01yellerCobra 12-31-2016 08:52 PM

I occasionally think about getting rid of my catted X and Stingers. But then I punch it and remember why I like them. It's a very distinct sound too. I valeted my my car the Friday before Christmas because parking was impossible. I could tell when it was started in the parking spot.

I daily drove my 01 with this same combo and a D1. I probably wouldn't do it now though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Flynbye 12-31-2016 09:43 PM

I'm going to weld in kindig electric cutouts on UPR catless OR pipe and magnaflow mufflers SS cat back. Captain choice exhaust for the Mach can't wait to get them installed

NastyNate 01-02-2017 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGMACHDADDY (Post 1623435)
I have slp catted X-pipe with Flowmaster 10's and I never get tired of it. Though it is not my DD.

I'm curious why you go back to stock H-pipe? I have had slp catted X-pipe on for over a decade on the mach with no issues for inspection.

I was living in Cali.....Good to know! Now I can prolly sell off that stock h-pipe!

lastcall190 01-19-2017 12:11 PM

My old Formula was cammed with Spiral Flows and dumps by the axle. It sounded incredible and just like I expected a muscle car to sound like, got a ton of looks and shaking heads from soccer moms but after daily driving it for over a year it just got kind of old when I would get to work and still have a drone in my head. Eventually ripped it off and threw a Magnaflow on and even with an ORY it was so much more tame I couldn't believe it.

So I guess to answer the original question, yes, it's happened :23:

-J

DSG2003Mach1 01-19-2017 12:48 PM

ya, when I had my magnapacks with stock midpipe after an 11 hour drive to NC I was ready to drive off a bridge from the drone.

I have kooks headers, catted midpipe and steeda catback now but between that and all the noise from my D1/BRRV its still too much sometimes.

TKat13 01-19-2017 06:31 PM

I have an out of box suggestion....

Add a turbo. :)

My exhaust is actually pretty quiet with the help of the turbo. It has a very low sound and not obnoxiously loud. Until you go WOT and at full boost it is a very loud ***! Scary loud... but just driving around zero drone. It is a single turbo, hot side goes to a 3" exhaust then that 'y's into dual 2.5 exhaust that is a magna flow cat-back. I have no cats... (as I only drive it off road of course) :wings:

lastcall190 01-20-2017 07:36 AM

I agree 100%. But you are right, I recall my turbo days when the ext. WG would open, holy hell was it loud... what a sound though.

sutyak 01-20-2017 07:46 AM

I have the exact same exhaust as Darrell with a smaller turbo (S369SX-E with 73mm out vs 75mm PTE 7675). It's nearly as quiet as stock in the lower RPMs, and very pleasant to drive on the interstate with no drone. It's nice to be able to talk to a passenger! Yes it gets loud very quickly under WOT. The previous owner dumped the 3" with a glass pack under the passenger seat, and that was obnoxious.

On my previous N/A Mach 1 I had a catless prochamber with Flowmaster Force II, and the sound was just amazing. It did drone at highway speeds, though. I later went with MAC longtubes and prochamber with the same Flows, and wow it was really, really loud.
I miss the sound of the Flowmasters, but prefer to have the better flowing Magnaflows with a turbo.

03Shadow Grey 01-21-2017 10:04 PM

My car came with an off road H and factory exhaust. later on I had 2, 50 series Delta flows installed. Sounded great to me but I got tired of the smell and o2 light.So I install 2 Magnaflow Catts in the H pipe and that took it down to a whisper!! I dont know with the shape of an X if you can install aftermarket catts but if you can it will definitely tone it down considerably.
On a side note I cased both catts and back to the off road H. Love the sound and living with the smell !!:)

jbrad88 01-22-2017 03:32 PM

Nope...love it

Vndcatr 01-22-2017 04:02 PM

I like running cats on a straight through muffler and no cats on a muffler setup. Ive had catted X pipe and packs and/or Magnaflows ..they both sound great!.

ab_mach1 02-08-2017 09:58 AM

I'm curious, which is usually louder, an X pipe or H pipe?

So far, I'm not having any issues with being too loud with my o/r H and Stingers. But, I still have the stock manifolds. I'm sure headers add some volume lol.

DSG2003Mach1 02-08-2017 11:02 AM

Ive read a few times from guys smarter than I that longtubes actually tend to quiet the car down a little...I dont really know, I dont think my exhaust volume changed too much either direction when I from bassanni catted x and steeda mufflers to the same mufflers with Kooks and catted mid pipe