2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Registry Discussion (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   NASCAR thread (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55315)

G 11-14-2011 02:49 PM

Re: NASCAR thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdman941 (Post 1438373)
It was for an intake manifold, supposedly "unapproved".
The original manifold had a higher mounting for the carb.
There was an issue with it, so they replaced it with another,
which was a tad lower.
Roush installed a spacer to bring the carb to the correct height
(identical to the height of the original one).
ASSCAR fined them and took points because it was BOLTED on and not WELDED on.
What a crock of crap.

Richmond in 1990. I was there with my Dad and others. The infraction came 3 hours after Martin had won the race. We decided to hang there at the track because it was a short ride home. It got pretty intense. Now the crew chief is a NASCAR VP. haha

The max spacer was 2" and they had a 2.5". It was an illegal part but by all accounts it was just a mistake. You could build up the intake until the filter just clears the hood by welding and the use of a 2" aluminum spacer. On our modified the filter could be above the hood as long as the top of the carb was below the bottom of the hood. Any height and material (must me solid, not hollow) could be used but the intake could not be built up. We had a spacer that was 2.5" approximately. Jack initially put Pemberton on suspension but when he decided to appeal he rescinded the suspension. This really hurt his case.

Ironically, the points were based on how well he was running. Nobody really thinks the intake issue gave him an advantage but he was docked the number of points between 1st and the last car on the lead lap. 46 points, had he lapped more cars the penalty would have been less??????? It was the biggest penalty up to that date. 46 points and $40,000 of the $59,150 purse for the winner. He lost the championship to Dale Sr by 26 points that year, 32 races later!!!!

It was a sad year for me. :grr::Flame:

kiler be 11-14-2011 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G (Post 1438418)
Richmond in 1990. I was there with my Dad and others. The infraction came 3 hours after Martin had won the race. We decided to hang there at the track because it was a short ride home. It got pretty intense. Now the crew chief is a NASCAR VP. haha

The max spacer was 2" and they had a 2.5". It was an illegal part but by all accounts it was just a mistake. You could build up the intake until the filter just clears the hood by welding and the use of a 2" aluminum spacer. On our modified the filter could be above the hood as long as the top of the carb was below the bottom of the hood. Any height and material (must me solid, not hollow) could be used but the intake could not be built up. We had a spacer that was 2.5" approximately. Jack initially put Pemberton on suspension but when he decided to appeal he rescinded the suspension. This really hurt his case.

Ironically, the points were based on how well he was running. Nobody really thinks the intake issue gave him an advantage but he was docked the number of points between 1st and the last car on the lead lap. 46 points, had he lapped more cars the penalty would have been less??????? It was the biggest penalty up to that date. 46 points and $40,000 of the $59,150 purse for the winner. He lost the championship to Dale Sr by 26 points that year, 32 races later!!!!

It was a sad year for me. :grr::Flame:

Thank you. That is exactly right. I was there too. That was one COLD day.
I still say it was BS and always will.

birdman941 11-14-2011 08:45 PM

From what I recall, the overall height was the same,
and no performance advantage was realized.
Bottom line, the replacement intake was shorter overall and the spacer was bolted on.
If it had been welded it would have been OK.

kiler be 11-15-2011 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdman941 (Post 1438488)
From what I recall, the overall height was the same,
and no performance advantage was realized.
Bottom line, the replacement intake was shorter overall and the spacer was bolted on.
If it had been welded it would have been OK.

You are right. It was bolted on, not welded. :wtf:

G 11-15-2011 02:16 AM

Bolted was fine for 2" or less. If they had welded on the 1/2 in and used a 2" spacer they would have been legal. The end result would have been the same but legal. Rumor has it that if Jack had not suspended Pemberton they would have been able to negotiate the penalty to money but no points taken. There was no performance gained by Martin.

He still almost won and they made another big mistake by testing 6 cars at Atlanta only to borrow one from Robert Yates. I think this was a big deal too. The car was an unknown except the engine was strong. They never got it close enough to use that power. They should have put Yates power in their best car. Like I said, it was a crappy year. The only good thing that happened is I made it to over half the races that year. It's been less each year and this year I've been to NONE of them.

birdman941 11-15-2011 08:11 AM

A local guy had some bumper stickers made back then,
which said "Mark Martin. The REAL 1990 NASCAR Champion".
It was red with white letters.
Then, the #3 Ironhead car was at the local Chebbie Dealer,
He stuck one on the car and took a pic.
Also, he got Ironhead to autograph one of the bumper stickers.
I used to have one but now I have no idea where it is.
Also had a pic of he car with that sticker on it.

falcongtho3 11-19-2011 07:47 PM

Mustang Wins!

Congrats to Ricky for his NNS Championship, and to Jack for his owners win for the season in the Nationwide series. Incredible to see the Mustang take a driver to the championship in its first full season.

Hope that Carl wins the big trophy tomorrow!!!

:borg:

birdman941 11-19-2011 07:50 PM

Amen!
Carl drove hard, Roush/Yates has done incredible work with the FR9.

Rice_slayer 11-19-2011 08:54 PM

All I can say is, Go Carl, Go Roush Fenway racing, and Go Ford!!!!

03BumbleBee 11-19-2011 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rice_slayer (Post 1439641)
all i can say is, go carl, go roush fenway racing, and go ford!!!!

x1:27:

birdman941 11-20-2011 12:26 PM

Some drivers are having a hard time getting into the track,
due to the First (alleged) Lady and her entourage snarling traffic at Homestead.
I woulkd just hover a copter overhead and shove 'em both out.

Rice_slayer 11-20-2011 08:40 PM

That Fat arrogant thrash talker shouldn't have won. Edwards is a) the better man for not trash talking and acting like his s*** doesn't stink and b) Edwards IS the better driver, average finish proves it. Edwards is a true class act though, I hope people change their view on how he is. A runner-up not once, but TWICE, still am and always will be a Carl fan.

Side note, Tony didn't win, he TIED :P

falcongtho3 11-20-2011 08:52 PM

Well that sucked. I can't think of a worse way to lose than a tie-breaker. I'll stick with Carl, Tony can be a Gordon/Johnson wanna be for the rest of his life...and to me he'll always be StewRat...

Rice_slayer 11-20-2011 08:54 PM

^^ He'll always be a dirty driver who would "wreck his own mom to win the championship". Carl is a Class act and a great driver, I've been saying that for years, but people seem to hate him for some reason. Carl will win one, and when he does, you can count on me being one of the first to buy his championship stuff. Still, the burnout him and stenhouse did yesterday was epic!!!

falcongtho3 11-20-2011 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rice_slayer (Post 1439856)
Still, the burnout him and stenhouse did yesterday was epic!!!

That was truly one of the most memorable things I've seen all season.

gvervoren 11-21-2011 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rice_slayer (Post 1439856)
^^ He'll always be a dirty driver who would "wreck his own mom to win the championship". Carl is a Class act and a great driver, I've been saying that for years, but people seem to hate him for some reason. Carl will win one, and when he does, you can count on me being one of the first to buy his championship stuff. Still, the burnout him and stenhouse did yesterday was epic!!!

Stewart may have raced like that in the past but he hasn't raced dirty like that for quite awhile. Yeah he gets into it with people once in awhile but so does Carl and most of the other drivers out there. Granted I was hoping Carl would win the championship too but I have to say, Stewart earned it cause he races his a$$ off. I saw nothing wrong with the way Stewart was racing people during the chase.

Rice_slayer 11-21-2011 10:28 AM

Stewart said he'd wreck his own mother to win the championship. If edwards had been leading, I can put a $1000 down that stewart would have spun or tapped him. That's why Edwards said he'll race him the way he races me. I just can't stand Stewarts overly cocky attitude he has had in the chase, THAT is being a sore winner. I do give respect though, was not being a sore winner in the victory celeberation which I was surprised at. Someone at nascar said it best, it was that 1 pass stewart made on burton a few weeks back that won the championship...

blown03Mach1 11-21-2011 01:00 PM

Any one else know why he is called "Smoke"?

Has anyone ever seen him with a female? I know I have never seen a picture of him with a "girlfriend" or female. And did he not punch a female in the face?

"Wreck his own mother"

Wonder if there is a connection?

Just saying..........

birdman941 11-21-2011 01:07 PM

It sucks that Carl had a better overall record over the course of the season,
and came in second.
I guess the rules is the rules.
I will say one thing,
for the First time in my life, I am proud to be a NASCAR fan.
Why?
Watch!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/a4y5jy4Q4E8?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Big Ron 11-21-2011 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdman941 (Post 1439968)
for the First time in my life, I am proud to be a NASCAR fan.

Not the first time I've heard that....:rolleyes:

Big Ron :orange:

falcongtho3 11-21-2011 10:10 PM

A lot has been said about that over the last day, but no one has pointed out that those are the same people who cheered greatly when the invocation was given or the national anthem was played...now that's some thing to compare and contrast!

Rustangin 11-23-2011 06:26 PM

you have to respect stewart on the race track because he is a very talented driver but as a person...HA...he will never get any respect from me. His arrogant attitude alone makes me question how anyone in their right mind could be a fan of his. It was very disappointing to see stewart take home the championship in homestead. How does a man that didn't win and wasn't even competitive in the regular season win half of the chase races? Makes you wonder?? I told my dad with about 3 or 4 races left that it wouldn't surprise me if stewart won. After all his engines are supplied by the biggest crook in nascar in my book. RICK HENDRICK! I hope Carl wins one next year and every year after that. Die Hard Ford Fan To The Very End! I will say that is was funny seeing Michelle Obama having to answer a question about who she thought would win the championship...HaHa...the announcer said .... are you gonna pick Carl because he promotes good health or stewart because he drives a chevy...haha....great poke at the government and especially government motors!

G 11-24-2011 10:36 PM

This is why I hate the current format. Get rid of the top 35 lock in, the chase, and stop those qualified from parking after a few laps. Connect the pay out to the laps run, AGAIN.

Congrats, to Tony for an amazing chase. I don't know why his cars ran so well but it must not have been easy to find. :secret: They would have found something on a Jack Roush car. I'm not a Carl Edwards fan so I'm not really upset about that part of this season. I hope Biff and Matt have a better season and can win a championship for Jack and Ford. :orange:

WalkrTexasRngr 11-25-2011 12:06 AM

Every vehicle I own has been and will be a Ford but Harvick is my driver lol. Has been since his Busch days so no band jumper here. I was an Earnhardt fan. He used to drive a Ford maybe that counts lol. I hated the Chase when it was first implemented but I think they got it right with this new point system. The racing is better and closer now than its ever been. My only complaint which may get fixed totally with fuel injection next year is the two car tango at the superspeedways. Start and parks are here to stay. Thats how small teams stay in business and fund the full races they run. Top 35 rewards teams for running full seasons and gives big name sponsors confidence their car will make the show, which keeps them in the sport. I think Stewart was cocky but he said what he was gonna do and backed it up. Nothing wrong with a little trash talk. Makes the sport better IMO

Rice_slayer 11-25-2011 06:58 AM

The ONLY way tandem drafting at dega and daytona will be gone is when they remove the restrictor plates, and I can't see that ever happening sadly :(.