2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles) (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Please give this quick video a listen... engine noise (still) (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=136052)

HamMach1 06-28-2017 04:53 PM

Please give this quick video a listen... engine noise (still)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pphxL7BNpgk

Hard to tell where left or right of the engine the sound is coming from but I can tell you it is coming from the very front.

Ideas?

fastlane 06-29-2017 10:21 AM

Re: Please give this quick video a listen... engine noise (still)

That sounds like a dead lifter or secondary chain tensioner. How's your oil pressure?

HamMach1 06-29-2017 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastlane (Post 1627339)
That sounds like a dead lifter or secondary chain tensioner. How's your oil pressure?

Oil pressure is showing normal on the indicator. Not sure if that is an absolute accurate measure of it though.

01yellerCobra 06-29-2017 05:40 PM

I want to say the gauge will show pressure above 5psi. Don't quote me on that. With how it sounds I'd guess lash adjuster. First thing I'd do is drain the oil and check the filter. From there pull the valve covers to see what the cams and followers look like.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

HamMach1 06-29-2017 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01yellerCobra (Post 1627344)
I want to say the gauge will show pressure above 5psi. Don't quote me on that. With how it sounds I'd guess lash adjuster. First thing I'd do is drain the oil and check the filter. From there pull the valve covers to see what the cams and followers look like.

The needle on the gauge reads about 12:05 directionally speaking.

If the weather holds up tonight, I am going to change the spark plugs and see how those look for starters. Then on the long weekend I'll be gone but then I will drain the oil, do as you suggested, and then also swap the harmonic balancer.

Cooldbz12 07-01-2017 05:47 PM

dang that sounds ugly. my guess would be a lifter. Get a plastic pipe or a cardboard roll from used up paper towels and put it to your ear while moving the other end against the valve covers or any other suspected source, and you will find where its coming from. I dont think changing the spark plugs would do a thing. Check your oil level. Check your pulleys too, could be something rubbing kinda like a baseball card on a bike wheel affect.

HamMach1 07-04-2017 12:15 AM

So I finally got home from my trip and got the oil changed. Was emergency dealership change as soon as I left the airport since my oil pressure gauge decided to start hitting L momentarily when I come to a stop. THey told me it was down to 2 quarts... yikes. Oddly enough, tick went away as well. So there's probably some irreversible damage that has caused. Ugh...

01yellerCobra 07-04-2017 01:31 AM

Well, the best way to find out is to drain your fresh oil and see if it's glittery. Then open the filter and look for big pieces. I had a bearing get wasted in a previous engine and it left all kinds of shiny stuff in the filter.

HamMach1 07-04-2017 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01yellerCobra (Post 1627422)
Well, the best way to find out is to drain your fresh oil and see if it's glittery. Then open the filter and look for big pieces. I had a bearing get wasted in a previous engine and it left all kinds of shiny stuff in the filter.

I'm going to change the oil again in about 1-2 months myself and see how it looks. I had to take it to the dealership because no way was I driving the distance I had to go with possible low oil pressure. I asked them if they could maybe sift the oil with some cheese cloth while doing the change but said no for whatever reason.

DJAMiller 07-11-2017 08:20 AM

2 quarts? That's not good. I'd keep a close eye on it to see if it starts making any noises again. If so I'd change the bearings before you do any worse damage. I would also change the oil again sooner rather than later so you can try and get an idea of whats floating around in there.

Mike03Mach 12-05-2017 07:38 AM

So, have you changed the oil yet?